PDA

View Full Version : wired network

goinggrey
13-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Hoping someone will clarify setting up a wired ethernet connection for a desktop and netbook. I believe that a hub will allow me to connect these two to each other and to the net via my single ethernet input adsl modem.

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Yup an ethernet hub would get both on the internet. You may need 2-3 ethernet cables. One to go from the desktop to the hub,then from the hub to the modem, and another from the netbook to the hub.

linw
13-06-2009, 01:34 PM
There needs to be a routing function so tell us what brand/model of adsl modem you have.

If it has a routing function you can buy a simple switch (different from a hub) to connect the three items up. Otherwise you need a router/switch.

Don't forget the power of google - there are heaps of home networking tutorials/guides available which can give you a good idea of terms/functions.

Nictech
13-06-2009, 02:42 PM
don't get a hub, they are not good, it will hinder more than help. If anything the easiest way would be to go and buy a new modem & router in one, that will make things very straightforward. I recommend Linksys as a brand, you pay more but you get quality

gary67
13-06-2009, 06:32 PM
don't get a hub, they are not good, it will hinder more than help. If anything the easiest way would be to go and buy a new modem & router in one, that will make things very straightforward. I recommend Linksys as a brand, you pay more but you get quality

X2 I changed to Linksys earlier this year an AG300 has been great cost $130 but it's wired only

Rob99
14-06-2009, 01:38 AM
You need a switch, set up like speedy said.

You already have a 1 port router/modem.

Hubs and swithes are similar.

pcuser42
14-06-2009, 09:40 AM
X2 I changed to Linksys earlier this year an AG300 has been great cost $130 but it's wired only

We got a wireless one from Linksys for the same price, so if you're going to get a new router, go wireless for the netbook. :D

Otherwise, a switch/hub will be just fine. I've got one in my room connected to two desktop PCs and the four-port router in the office, and every PC can see each other.

chiefnz
14-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Get a switch not a huib, they function differently, despite providing multiple connections on a network.

A hub will take a network packet and transmit it to all ports/hosts on the network. The information is transmitted to every other host including the intended recipient host. This causes the non-intended hosts to send a packet back saying the data isn't for them, which causes packet collisions which in turn means there is data loss due to errors and collisions etc.

A switch on the other hand only transmits data to the intended recipient. This keeps the network clear of any unneccessary packet transmissions which means your data integrity is way better and keeps the network more stable.

Hope that helps.

wainuitech
14-06-2009, 12:12 PM
As Linw rightly points out
There needs to be a routing function so tell us what brand/model of adsl modem you have.

If it has a routing function you can buy a simple switch (different from a hub) to connect the three items up. Otherwise you need a router/switch.
If you have a single Port Modem, you can not put in a switch to get the internet on two or more PC's/Laptops.

A Switch on its own will not issue IP addresses, in simple terms it redirects the IP Packets to the correct PC/laptop - it will only allow the PC and laptop to talk to one another - but not the Internet.( unless you set either the Laptop or PC to internet sharing)

The single port modem only has one IP address - you need to use a router to issue multi addresses - as you can not have the same IP address on the same LAN (which is basically what you are creating).

If you are going to purchase any equipment, you will be a LOT better off buying a ADSL Modem/Router all in one then you wont have any problems.