PDA

View Full Version : No IE in European Win 7

gary67
13-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Ms has just said that the European flavour of Win 7 will NOT include Internet Explorer read more here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8096701.stm)

wainuitech
13-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Some people are never happy - they complain that MS bundle products that they are forced to use -- what a load of crap.

If you dont want to use IE then dont - whats the problem ?

Same goes for the Email - people complain about Outlook Express / Windows mail -- so MS are not including it in W7 -- I can see the phone calls now-- WHERES my email, I cant find it --- then you have to tell the people they have to download a client. (It'll be fun and games).

johcar
13-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Some people are never happy - they complain that MS bundle products that they are forced to use -- what a load of crap.

If you dont want to use IE then dont - whats the problem ?

Isn't some of the issue that IE code is embedded in other than just IE in Windows? In which case, the Win7Euro will be an "interesting" flavour....

Same goes for the Email - people complain about Outlook Express / Windows mail -- so MS are not including it in W7 -- I can see the phone calls now-- WHERES my email, I cant find it --- then you have to tell the people they have to download a client. (It'll be fun and games).

Opportunities for techs to 'assist' users who know nothing (which covers about 50% of all users) will abound.

As will online companies springing up to sell email client products of dubious quality.

Metla
13-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I don't get their attitude.

An OS should come with those tools, and the company who develops the OS should have the right to bundle their own tools. Hell, I'd support their right to do so even if they configured it so those were the only tools you could use.

Metla
13-06-2009, 11:57 AM
As will online companies springing up to sell email client products of dubious quality.

Who wants to join my new company?, we will be developing an email client called Easymail.

I figure we just buy the rights to the cheapest existing email client and re-skin it, re-route all support calls to India and rake in the billions.

somebody
13-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I don't get their attitude.

An OS should come with those tools, and the company who develops the OS should have the right to bundle their own tools. Hell, I'd support their right to do so even if they configured it so those were the only tools you could use.

I wonder whether the EU stops mobile phone manufacturers from shipping web browsers with their smartphones?

gary67
13-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I wonder whether the EU stops mobile phone manufacturers from shipping web browsers with their smartphones?

I am wondering that too, I posted the link to see what you all think of the move by the EU not because I agree with it. I am applying for a job with easymail

bob_doe_nz
13-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok, so they buy the computer with the stripped down W7.

Now they go home, setup the computer.

Now they can use I.E to download their favourite alternative browser.

Wait... What? :xmouth:

wainuitech
13-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Ok, so they buy the computer with the stripped down W7.

Now they go home, setup the computer.

Now they can use I.E to download their favourite alternative browser.

Wait... What? :xmouth: yep -- so two options, use another PC to download the Browser of choice OR the PC manufactures or MS will have to put a link on the desktop that will download and Install IE without needing a browser in the first place.

OH HOLD ON !!! Thats Microsoft abusing its market position AGAIN :rolleyes:

ubergeek85
13-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Ignore this. Got a bit mixed up.

pcuser42
14-06-2009, 09:50 AM
The EU is mixed up. What's the point in having a computer if you can't install a web browser? Some people only have one computer (shock!).

Leaving out an email client or media player isn't as bad because you have the web browser to download them.

Are the EU going to target Apple or Linux for including Safari and Firefox? :groan:

Cicero
14-06-2009, 11:08 AM
If you are waiting for sense from the EU crowd,then be prepared for a long wait.

autechre
15-06-2009, 10:10 AM
The EU is mixed up. What's the point in having a computer if you can't install a web browser? Some people only have one computer (shock!).

Given the vast majority of people will get Win7 with a new PC rather than installing it themselves, OEMs will now be able to install the browser of their choice. I'm picking a lot of those PCs will come with Firefox installed.

My only wish for Windows is that Microsoft create a custom/advanced install option so I could deselect most of the crap that gets installed in the first place. That would be nice. I'll just have to hope vLite gets updated to cope with Win7 when it's released.

utopian201
15-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't agree with removing IE from Windows. Sure, I don't use it, but I think it is reasonable to expect a computer to be able to browse web pages out of the box. Next thing you know, they'll be removing windows media player so out of the box, the PC is neutered as an entertainment machine.

Now when people get a mac, they can say "I can start browsing the web the moment I take it out of the box, whereas with Windows you can't". Thank those people who have crap in their signatures like "Installing firefox: Free. Never using IE: Priceless!" or something else equally lame.

I can't stand those people who say "I hate microsoft/etc" and then proceed to use Windows.

wainuitech
15-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Next thing you know, they'll be removing windows media player so out of the box They are doing that already - its called the "N" version -- no Media player.

the_bogan
15-06-2009, 12:59 PM
They are doing that already - its called the "N" version -- no Media player.

I wonder if it got automatically offered as a windows update straight away? :illogical

KenESmith
16-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Probably the decision to not include IE originates from MS - from what I have read the original EU proposal was that computers would come with multiple browsers loaded and then the consumer could then make their choice. One could not see Microsoft happily swallowing that proposal.

Frankly I would be more than happy to buy Windows 7 and pick one's own choice of Browser, E-mail, Media Player etc than take MS's bundled offering.

At least the EU is prepared to stand up to MS's anti competitive monopolistic business practices - bloody shame a few more countries don't follow suit.

somebody
16-06-2009, 10:19 AM
It looks like you can never keep them happy: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10578747

Metla
16-06-2009, 10:45 AM
And whats worse then MS gear?

Third party apps installed by OEM manufacturers. They are not there to give customer choice, they are there to track your movements, assault you with branding and in the worst cases to make money off you while having a negative effect on your PC and the way you use it.

Noton bundles is a prime example. No sane person would want it, but there it is on your brand new PC, and in a weeks time it wants your credit card details so you can be hit in the pocket for the privilege of running invasive and crap software.

This browser crap isn't about user choice, Its about who will pay the most amount of money to have their crap bundled with new PC's.

fools.

Rob99
16-06-2009, 10:59 AM
If MS have to offer third party browsers, will they also have to offer support?

Most people hate all the third party apps/crapware that come bundled with their new store bought PC.

I think MS should stay way clear of offering other browsers.

wainuitech
16-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I dont know what all the fuss is about - cant some people think and act for themselves.

MS loads in IE, what ever flavor of MS Email client.

Just because its there, doesn't mean you have to use it,if a person wants to use something else then good on them. MS have loads of apps in the OS, most home users dont even know they exist, or ever use them.

Bit like watching TV - if something is on and you dont want to watch it, change channels.

utopian201
16-06-2009, 11:39 AM
And whats worse then MS gear?

Third party apps installed by OEM manufacturers. They are not there to give customer choice, they are there to track your movements, assault you with branding and in the worst cases to make money off you while having a negative effect on your PC and the way you use it.

Noton bundles is a prime example. No sane person would want it, but there it is on your brand new PC, and in a weeks time it wants your credit card details so you can be hit in the pocket for the privilege of running invasive and crap software.

This browser crap isn't about user choice, Its about who will pay the most amount of money to have their crap bundled with new PC's.

fools.

If it means my PC is a few hundred dollars cheaper, I'm all for it. An uninstall is just a few clicks away.

Metla
16-06-2009, 11:48 AM
If it means my PC is a few hundred dollars cheaper, I'm all for it. An uninstall is just a few clicks away.

Cheaper?

why on earth would that happen?, If Dell can make $1 off real player for every PC they bundle it on they sure as hell won't be passing the savings on to you. As for hundreds of dollars cheaper?, Your OS represents about $150 of the cost of your PC, How do you imagine it could be a few hundred dollars cheaper?

As for uninstall, pppfffttt, Crap is already so heavily embedded by OEM's that they only way to remove it 100 percent effectively is to format the sucker and install the OS from a unmolested CD.

ZapperBoy10647
16-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Hell, im no fan of IE thats for sure, but not all people are computer literate. its bad enough for a person of the older generations to learn one OS and one Browser, and now the EU makes there life even harder by making them have to learn one more..... damn no consideration for the older generatiion these days(ROFL, who am i kidding)

wainuitech
16-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Hell, im no fan of IE thats for sure, but not all people are computer literate. its bad enough for a person of the older generations to learn one OS and one Browser, and now the EU makes there life even harder by making them have to learn one more..... damn no consideration for the older generatiion these days(ROFL, who am i kidding) Theres actually a LOT of truth to your statement - some people are set in their ways and change one thing and the whole worlds suddenly against them.

Techs see this a LOT - try moving an Icon(s) on some peoples desktop :horrified and they panic, but but but its always been the second one down, what am I going to do now :groan: ( dont laugh it does happen)

wratterus
16-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Theres actually a LOT of truth to your statement - some people are set in their ways and change one thing and the whole worlds suddenly against them.

Techs see this a LOT - try moving an Icon(s) on some peoples desktop :horrified and they panic, but but but its always been the second one down, what am I going to do now :groan: ( dont laugh it does happen)

Can second this. :o