PDA

View Full Version : intriguing problem

unity1
12-06-2009, 01:26 PM
greetings all - I have a HP computer (media centre) running XP its now 3 years old - it works hard especially the DVD drive which has decided it no longer exists and the tray has decided its default is open - consequently I can't burn, write or read anything - being an optermist - I decided to push F10 and take the whole sorry mess back to its facotry settings - took off everything and waited ......

the DVD drive still didn't work, - but for some odd reason yesterday it remembered what it was and I was able to use it - today however its reverted to form and refuses to acknlowledge its own existence

but the really confusing and irrating thing is despite taking everything off I am still left with 20 GB of free memory space out of 180GB and I can't for the life of me find out where the rest lives

I have disabled restore point and gained a measly 2GB from that

so my question to the forum is ......whats up with my DVD player - if it was broken why doesn't it stay broken and why does the tray want to viist the outside world as a default -

and.....where the hell is all the memory gone ?????? and is there a programe place or whatever that one can find out how much memory is used and where it is

any help would be greatly appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2009, 01:30 PM
How big is the recovery partition. Since it sounds like its got 1. Dont confuse memory with hdd space. Theyre not the same thing.

wratterus
12-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Data is stored on the hard drive (HDD). Memory, or RAM, is not hard drive space. Don't get them confused. ;)

Download windirstat (http://transact.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/windirstat/windirstat1_1_2_setup.exe) and run it on the C:, that will tell you where the data is hiding.

The recovery has probably backed all your files up somewhere.

The DVD Drive is more than likely faulty, I'd try removing it from the PC, boot the PC up, then shut down, reinstall the drive and see what happens. Probably the same thing - in which case grab a new DVD RW, expect to pay $70 - $80 for a good one.

SolMiester
12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
For $50, you could of replaced the tired faulty DVD drive and been up and running in 10min!! Without losing anything!!

LOL.....I have to say that's bad luck sport......god know's what you have accomplished now or how long and how much it will cost you to fix!

Blam
12-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Run windirstat as suggested. Should tell you what is taking up all that room.

Try running CCleaner, possibly lots of accumulated temp files

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Blam

unity1
14-06-2009, 02:32 PM
wanted to say a huge thank you for the Windirstat - what an amazing programe - I found out where all my GB had gone - lots of duplicate folders with lots of GB in them - so thank you very much - that solved that problem - the DVD drive is F%$#@ed and no amount of wishfull thinking on my part will make it right soooooooooooooooo off to get a new one - many thanks to all of you for your help