PDA

View Full Version : PC does not start correctly

CJG
11-06-2009, 11:05 PM
I have an HP compaq d330 running windows xp pro.
Suddenly it is not booting correctly:
- On boot Windows starts
- then screen turns black with white rectangles in rows appearing on it
- then to HP screen starts
- then to safe mode dos screen
- if select safe mode there black horizontal lines on the screen. If any enteries are made blue/green/yellow horizontal lines start covering the words.
- if computer goes to normal windows, it reboots itself

Have run virus checker, check disk + defragger - all Ok
Although virus checker is showing lots of files that have 'error opening' or 'archive damaged' messages.
Have tried to change msconfig to stop some the start programs but receiving message - ' access denied. error was returned whil attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an adminstrator account to make specified changes' -- BUT I am logged on as administrator. Do no know what is happening here or how to save the changes
Have gone and tried complete a system restore but did not make any difference.

Anyone know what is going on and what I could do to get windows loading correctly again

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Is it the PC you posted this on? If it is post a hijackthis log (its below). Download it install it, run it. Then click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log here

If you cant boot into windows normally, boot into safe mode / networking. So you can get online. You should be careful WHAT service you disable in msconfig. Since you shouldnt disable any of them in msconfig. They should be disabled (if you disable any) under services. So, if you DID disable any services under msconfig, tick / enable them again

wainuitech
11-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome to PF1.

Did you run chkdsk with any switches ?? if not --

See if you can start windows in safe Mode with command prompt.

keep tapping F8 on startup, select Safe mode with Command prompt, if you get the CMD box OK, type in chkdsk /r <press Enter. let it run through chkdsk.

Being a HP d330 I doubt you will have a windows XP CD, unless you have a spare one laying about. Those normally shipped with no CD, or just a recovery CD (s).

Also download memtest 86 (http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip) -- Unzip this file, and burn the ISO file to a CD using your ISO burning software - this will make a make a bootable CD - boot from it and see if the memory has any errors.

feersumendjinn
12-06-2009, 11:03 AM
It sounds like a video ram problem causing your screen corruption, especially so if you have integrated video (as this uses your system ram), do the Memtest thing as WT said.
Or maybe this would help (or try taking the ram out, cleaning the contacts, and refitting (possible corrosion?), use anti-static protection).
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=342066&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=342066&objectID=c01196657

kahawai chaser
12-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I had screen corruption (rectangles and lines) sometimes during load up, and during PC use causing a reboot last week. Ran various cleaners/spyware/anti virus, etc - but still the same. Ended up changing the battery (CR2032) inside the case, and cleaned out the dust. Fixed it...

CJG
14-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - the hard drive has now started to make a noise and on booting it, it is not even recognised, therefore I think it must of been dying.
The PC did not come with any Windows XP Prod disks, therefore will need to locate, get a new hard drive and reinstall alll programs. I have a recent data backup but it is a pain.

gary67
14-06-2009, 12:38 PM
See if you can borrow one if you have your licence key still on the case, but it needs to be the same I.e if OEM then it needs to be an OEM disc as not all pro discs work with all pro keys, unlike XP home does

Blam
14-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions - the hard drive has now started to make a noise and on booting it, it is not even recognised, therefore I think it must of been dying.
The PC did not come with any Windows XP Prod disks, therefore will need to locate, get a new hard drive and reinstall alll programs. I have a recent data backup but it is a pain.

Boot from a live CD and recover any data you can.

Blam