PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GeForce 8600

kbcad
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Now that I am in my dotage, my wife bought me Microsoft Flight Simulator X for my !!th birthday, to keep me out of mischief.
I am not a fan of PC games, but this programme is more than a game, and I enjoy the challenge of learning (?) to fly.
However, in the first week of use I have had 5 BSODs. (STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000,)) I suspect that this is my video card not being up to the job.
My setup is: Dell Inspiron 530, Win XP SP3, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, 3.07 Gb RAM, 996 Gb hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT video adaptor.
Any thoughts on improving the performance? If I upgrade the Video card, do I have to upgrade the BIOS?
All advice much appreciated. KB.

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
If you had a previous videocard, did you uninstall the drivers for it. before installing this and its drivers? Is XP up to date, are the updates from yesterday installed?

sammo450
11-06-2009, 04:32 PM
You shouldn't have to update the BIOS. That system sounds good, should run FSX fine, just fairly low settings. Try turning the overall detail level down in the settings menu. Is the game playing smoothly, or lagging quite a bit? Possibly your GPU or CPU are overheating. Try downloading HWINFO and run it in the background so it will hopefully record the max temps of your processors.

kbcad
11-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Speedy - the video card is the original that came with the Dell.
sammo450 - the settings are the default (average) settings. The game runs fine 'til I try to pan the views, then will BSOD (but not every time) KB.

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
And is the system up to date including yesterdays updates? I would uninstall the video drivers, then update them

wratterus
11-06-2009, 04:39 PM
A graphics driver update would definatley be worth trying - download and install the appropriate driver from here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html).

sammo450
11-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Does it crash when you try to pan in any camera, or just a particular camera?

sroby
11-06-2009, 04:43 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

"Divide by zero error
A divide by zero is caused when a DIV instruction is executed and the divisor is 0. Memory corruption (or other hardware problems) or software failures can cause this. "

The vid card may be faulty
You may have faulty RAM

http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark03/
Download 3dMark & see if it runs without errors (its a good test of hardware)
or 3dMark06 - i thinks its a pretty big download thou

+ Try disabling AV before running game
+ Do spyware scan

pctek
11-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Now that I am in my dotage, my wife bought me Microsoft Flight Simulator X for my !!th birthday, to keep me out of mischief.

2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 duo,
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT video adaptor.

Talk to JJJJJ.
Your PC (which may have a hardware problem, I'll leave that as its been answered already), won't run it well at all.

Graphics is hopeless fr it, in fact you should buy JJJJJs old card he's selling - that will help.

But its a very CPU intensive game as well.

Even with the gruntiest PC you could build its still a dog compared to most normal games.

You'll have to learn what adjustments to make to all the settings.

Like I said talk to JJJJJ, he's been playing it for ages......

kbcad
11-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks, all. It's going to take me a while to act on your advice. Will report back later. KB.

SolMiester
11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
If you are installing all windows updates, MS may have updated your nvidia drivers to the MS equivalent driver and hence when stressed your BSOD. BSOD is 99.9% always either memory or hardware drivers, check the driver for manufacturer details.

Sweep
11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Talk to JJJJJ.
Your PC (which may have a hardware problem, I'll leave that as its been answered already), won't run it well at all.

Graphics is hopeless fr it, in fact you should buy JJJJJs old card he's selling - that will help.

But its a very CPU intensive game as well.

Even with the gruntiest PC you could build its still a dog compared to most normal games.

You'll have to learn what adjustments to make to all the settings.

Like I said talk to JJJJJ, he's been playing it for ages......

But not all people can afford the latest and greatest.

kbcad
12-06-2009, 09:46 AM
wratterus - updated driver as suggested. No improvement (Windows popped up with some sort of message re driver - must of thought their's was better than FSX)
sammo450 - seems to BSOD on one particular camera - maybe I should try a re-install
pctek - how do I contact JJJJJ?
sweep - you're on to it!

sammo450
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
OK then, sounds like it doesn't like loading more objects onto the screen. Have you tried turning all ground objects and air traffic off? FSX works fine with my 9600GT, which is the next generation of what you have.

kbcad
12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
My Desktop is set at 1680x1050. I set FSX to the same, and, so far, seem to be avoiding BSOD. KB.

JJJJJ
12-06-2009, 08:13 PM
But not all people can afford the latest and greatest.

And what makes you think I can I can afford them either? Just because I buy them doesn't mean I can afford them.

JJJJJ
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
pctek - how do I contact JJJJJ?
!

Wasn't hard was it ?

Firstly I would say your computer should run FSX as it is without lockups and BSOD's. Buying a new video card will not help. You should upgrade your cpu if you are going to upgrade anything.
I suggest the first thing to do is give your hard drive a heavy handed clean up. Remove all the usuals and any unwanted programs stc.
It would also help if you gave FSX a drive of it's own.
Run a good registry cleaner
After you install FSX defrag. O&O is reccomended.
Uninstall your graphics drivers. Download and install the latest drivers from NVidia
Open Nvidia control panel and go to "manage 3D settings". Set everything at about mid range"
Load fsx and pick your home base Save it.and make sure you tick Make this default"
If you are in full screen mode hit the alt key and that will bring up a menu bar at the top of your screen. Most settings will be fairly obvious. Go to the Options/Display screen and and move all your sliders to mid range. Go to traffic tab and select zero for all four.Go to graphics and tick "anti aliasing" SAVE your settings.
Then hit "shitt + Z" . This will show your fps at top of screen. You should have at least 20 fps . Go for a flight and keep an eye on fps. They will fluctuate but should anerage about 20 or more.
Let's know how it goes.
Jack

kbcad
13-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks, Jack - having trouble with "shitt + Z" :) but will persevere. KB

gary67
13-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Oh dear a spelling mistake don't let Roddy boy see it I guess Jack meant shift+z

Driftwood
13-06-2009, 01:58 PM
JJJJJ
You seem very knowledgable about FSX.
A question for you. Will FSX run better on Vista with DX10 than on XP. Will there be any noticable differences.

JJJJJ
13-06-2009, 02:50 PM
JJJJJ
You seem very knowledgable about FSX.
A question for you. Will FSX run better on Vista with DX10 than on XP. Will there be any noticable differences.

Unless you are very computer savvy do not use vista. FSX is not naturally DX10 compatable. And DX10 does not make much of a difference anyway.
And a lot of FSX addons do not work with Vista.
FSX was designed for XP so I would suggest you stay with XP.
If you want to upgrade Windows 7 is the way to go now.

kbcad
13-06-2009, 03:07 PM
JJJJJ - made recommended settings. Seems to be OK. Regards, KB.

wratterus
13-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I run FSX in vista no hassles at all, haven't come across any incompatibilities as of yet. At 1360x760 with everything on one step below max, and 4x anti-aliasing I can achieve 28+ fps in almost every area, normally more occasionally less on low passes over cities or forests. :p

This frame rate drops too much at 1920x1080, would need at least a GTX285 to start running that acceptably.

3GB DDR2-800, 6000+ dual core @ 3.2Ghz per core, GTX260 896MB, 22" 1080p monitor.

Driftwood
13-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I run FSX in vista no hassles at all, haven't come across any incompatibilities as of yet. At 1360x760 with everything on one step below max, and 4x anti-aliasing I can achieve 28+ fps in almost every area, normally more occasionally less on low passes over cities or forests. :p

This frame rate drops too much at 1920x1080, would need at least a GTX285 to start running that acceptably.

3GB DDR2-800, 6000+ dual core @ 3.2Ghz per core, GTX260 896MB, 22" 1080p monitor.

So in your opinion is there any noticable difference running it in Vista or XP?