PDA

View Full Version : Close up last night

SolMiester
11-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Have to say I agreed with the Doctor, you cant get fat unless you eat MORE than you need.

Then we had the fat American (remember the one who had trouble getting into the country) whinging how un PC the Dr was..........waaaaaah!

sammo450
11-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I really don't agree with PCness. Stuff is what it is, and making nice ways of saying things is ridiculous. Why do fat people take offence at being called fat?

somebody
11-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Don't forget - it's not the individual's fault. It's our fault that people are fat.

Obesity Action Coalition director Leigh Sturgiss said the condition should be blamed on environment rather than the individual.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10575537

What happened to personal responsibility? I can't believe the taxpayer was funding this organisation.

qazwsxokmijn
11-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Why do fat people take offence at being called fat?
It's derogatory. Fat people know how being fat affects their health and probably their social lives, and having people point out the obvious and/or mocking them will hurt their already low self-esteem. A lot of the time it's not their intention to get fat, of course. It's just a basic instinct drive for a living organism to continue eating as long as food is available. Back when we were still very hairy and lived in caves without that primeval mentality you'd starve to death.

I'm still against immigrants who have a high-risk health coming in this country, though. Unless their entire family is here or something, which is cruel to leave one person out from a family.

beeswax34
11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
It's derogatory. Fat people know how being fat affects their health and probably their social lives, and having people point out the obvious and/or mocking them will hurt their already low self-esteem. A lot of the time it's not their intention to get fat, of course. It's just a basic instinct drive for a living organism to continue eating as long as food is available. Back when we were still very hairy and lived in caves without that primeval mentality you'd starve to death.

I'm still against immigrants who have a high-risk health coming in this country, though. Unless their entire family is here or something, which is cruel to leave one person out from a family.

Then how come we're not all fat? A lot of us can control that urge to eat and know that in modern times, we dont expend so much energy as we use to through manual work like hunting and farming etc so we balance our diets in such a way.

Its pretty disingenuous to say "oh, we eat like like its 1200AD but work likes its 2009"

qazwsxokmijn
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Then how come we're not all fat? A lot of us can control that urge to eat and know that in modern times, we dont expend so much energy as we use to through manual work like hunting and farming etc so we balance our diets in such a way.
As I put in bold, it's an individual's ability to control the urge to eat that determines whether he or she would overeat or not.

Plus the lifestyle an individual has. Exercise, back-breaking slave labor, etc.....not that the latter is a lifestyle. :p

pctek
11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Then how come we're not all fat?

we dont expend so much energy as we use to through manual work like hunting and farming etc so we balance our diets in such a way.

But some of us are more active than others.
And, your activity levels can change too.

I used to walk a lot, lots and lots.

Now I can't. Since then I am fatter than I was then.
Yes I should eat less, but when you've been eating normally then have to halve it suddenly, that can be hard to do.

I used to, dieting made me snarly.
So now I'm just fat. What the hell, I'm not 21 anymore........

sammo450
11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
But instead of taking offence, why can't they just say 'yes I am, is your life so pathetic that you gain satisfaction from making others feel bad?'.

qazwsxokmijn
11-06-2009, 05:36 PM
But instead of taking offence, why can't they just say 'yes I am, is your life so pathetic that you gain satisfaction from making others feel bad?'.
Don't make any comments like that until you've walked in their shoes. How many people can say that when they've been degraded? Doesn't have to be about being fat; it can be anything, like being crippled, stupid, making mistakes, anything.

Sweep
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM

In my view it is not polite to call people anything even if they are.

I smoke cigarettes and some people object because they say I am damaging my health or damaging their health or both.

I hope that all people drive a Toyota rather than a Holden or Ford.
Why? Just because I use a Toyota and everone has to do what I do because I am perfect I don't think.

sammo450
11-06-2009, 06:06 PM
In my view it is not polite to call people anything even if they are.

Compliments or light-hearted comments are fine.

zqwerty
11-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I was taught to never discuss politics, religion or money in public and never make personal comments it is/was considered rude to do so.

Digby
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I hate the PC movement. But I do agree that we should not call crippled people names (like we used to way back) but it has gone to far.

I personally think that fat people are disgusting, (have you ever noticed that their skin goes all blotchy) and when they get obese it is my problem as we have to pay for them not to work cos they can't and we have to pay their huge medical bills.

I saw a program on tv the other day where hospital in the UK are having to buy bigger beds and bigger operating tables just to accommodate fat people. I would say to those people them - when you can fit in the bed or on the table you can come in. Same deal on airlines !

I also don't like paying for drinkers and smokers medical bills either. I drink, but only once a month or so.

I have had a small pot belly for years and over the last year I have been eating much less and it has nearly gone. So it can be done, its just means eating Cruskets and Marmite and not Macdonalds and chocolate. I have lost 15kg.

(Sorry PCtek)

prefect
11-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I put fat people in the same classification as smokers and alcoholics
Its their free choice, probably because they dont have enough will or wont power like normal people. Buts its my right and free choice to detest them.

R2x1
11-06-2009, 07:43 PM
We were told that "Inside every fat person is a thin person trying to get out."

Sometimes there are two or three of 'em in there.

hueybot3000
11-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Im a smoker and alot of people comment on it when im out and about, it doesnt make me feel bad, i made that initial decision to smoke, so there is no one to blame but me (wel there is the guys i was working with who were all smokers which brought on cravings after a few months living in their second hand smoke)

Fat people are the same, some people are solidly built and thats fine, others have medical reasons which is also understandable, MAJORITY just eat too much, thats their choice.

So why do we have to tip toe around the matter?

Rob99
12-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Depends when it is used in the sentence.

You can tell someone about what they are doing or should not be doing, then how it will affect them/us.

Bad - You are fat because you eat too many pies.
OK - You should not eat that pie, it will make you fat.

Bad - You are going to die young, you should quit smoking.
OK - You should not smoke, it will make die young.

Metla
12-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Wait a god damn minute people, Lets not give pies a bad name.

rob_on_guitar
12-06-2009, 03:59 AM
If your fat your fat end of story. To me there are 2 types of fat people, happy fatties who enjoy it and dont care and are happy, then there is the denial fatties where its not their fault, ronald told them to keep eating burgers and fries...

Personally I dont care, Im not gonna candy coat anything incase they eat me.

SolMiester
12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I dont mind fat people, as long as I dont have to touch them....aaaaw!, but that horrible American Kat Pouse demanding this and that for fat people gets my goat.....

nofam
12-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I dont mind fat people, as long as I dont have to touch them....aaaaw!, but that horrible American Kat Pouse demanding this and that for fat people gets my goat.....

Not even sure why she'd want to live here - back in America she'd be considered slim in some parts.

Why, when I was in West Virginia a few years back, you should've seen the size of. . . . . . .

:o

prefect
12-06-2009, 12:13 PM

X2

sammo450
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Aaabosolutely. There is an airline in Switzerland considering charging overweight people a 'fat tax' to cover fuel costs. It's certainly better than charging everyone else.

convair
12-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Aaabosolutely. There is an airline in Switzerland considering charging overweight people a 'fat tax' to cover fuel costs. It's certainly better than charging everyone else.

Ryanair the Irish airline was also considering doing the same thing. Not sure if they did though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/apr/22/ryanair-obese-fat-tax

johcar
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Depends when it is used in the sentence.

You can tell someone about what they are doing or should not be doing, then how it will affect them/us.

Bad - You are fat because you eat too many pies.
OK - You should not eat that pie, it will make you fat.

Bad - You are going to die young, you should quit smoking.
OK - You should not smoke, it will make die young.

Not really a good example Rob (apart from the fact that I agree with Metla about not giving pies a bad name! :D).

In each example above, the "Bad" comment suggest that the person is already either fat or a smoker.

The "Good" comment is advice for people not yet in (or maybe with just their foot in) that particular handcart to hell.

Either way, in my experience, people don't listen to advice - especially when it's sound advice - because we all suffer (to some extent) from the "it-won't-happen-to-me" or the "that-scenario-doesn't-apply-to-me" syndrome...

roddy_boy
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I also don't like paying for drinkers and smokers medical bills either. I drink, but only once a month or so.

lol