PDA

View Full Version : system crashes - help

han308
11-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I built this system a few months back and heres the problem. The system has never been stable.
Random system crashes. Just blank screen and reboots.
Now, this machine is not meant to be high spec'd. I only want if to write DVDs, hold my music and photos and support my toys(mp3 player gps). Someone might say itís a conflict with some anti-virus software or my MP3 player driver but I installed a clean version of windows 7 RC. And it still crashes randomly with just firefox installed.

I have run a driver scanner and all are OK.

I did get a lot of errors around the video driver but I've since installed the PCIe HIS HD4650 card and disabled the onboard video. Tried the latest video driver and it crashes worse than the drive than came with the box.
I've even changed the RAM.

What's left, the motherboard, the cpu and the PSU? I donít want to throw $ away, but I need a strategy to trouble shoot and get some stability.

I may install WinXp and see how stable that is...:groan:

Any help Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Vic.

Gigabyte GA-Ma78Gm-S2h rev 1.1
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Cosair 4GB
WD 640Gb
ATI Radeon Hd 4650
Windows Vista Home premium SP1
PSU not sure. Generic 450W i think

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Did you install ALL of the drivers, inc the chipset drivers? I wouldnt use Win7 RC as the main / only OS. It probably didnt install all of the drivers, and the drivers you installed for it may not work / or may not be compatible with Win7

Might help if its BSOD'ing, if you can tell us WHAT the BSOD is saying, and if it shows the name of a file / driver, what the name of the driver/file is

CYaBro
11-06-2009, 01:37 PM
If you've tried other RAM I would be trying another PSU next.

han308
11-06-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah. an Error would be nice but no BSOD just reboots...

Win 7 isnt my main OS. Vista 64 Home is, and its where it crashes. Unfortunately, i dont know Vista very well to find where it might have clues...

maco101
11-06-2009, 01:51 PM
have u overclocked the cpu, my brother overclocked his celeron the other day would just restart for no reason at all, he changed it back to the original speed and now it all fine

Speedy Gonzales
11-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Press the windows key (if the keyboard has one) + pause. Then go to advanced system settings (on the left). Click on continue. Then go to settings (the bottom one under startup and recovery). Untick automatically restart.

When it crashes again, it may bring up a blue screen (with a stop error code). If it does, tell us what it says. And if it shows the name of a file/driver, tell us what the name of this is. Or click on the orb / type in eventvwr. To bring up event viewer. Click on windows logs, click on application / it maybe system. Look for any X's or !'s.. If it shows a crash (about the time it crashes). Double click on it. Highlight it, press Ctrl-C and then paste it here, by pressing Ctrl-V.

Blam
11-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I suspect PSU...a generic one? : s

SolMiester
11-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Are you talking crash, freeze or BSOD. If the later, it is 99% is hardware drivers or memory. To resolve video driver, just use the standard VGA driver for now and see if it's still unstable....
4Gb of RAM, is that 4 x 1 or 2 x 2 sticks?....even with a generic 450psu, you should be using anywhere near the max of that PSU.
I reckon its your RAM, start remove sticks and increase as your system proves stablilty

sammo450
11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I might just slip a question in after reading SolMiester's post - can RAM instability be related to the PSU? And how do I check all my drivers for faults?

pctek
11-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Forget PSU for now.

Do what Solmesiter has instructed.,

han308
11-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Are you talking crash, freeze or BSOD. If the later, it is 99% is hardware drivers or memory. To resolve video driver, just use the standard VGA driver for now and see if it's still unstable....
4Gb of RAM, is that 4 x 1 or 2 x 2 sticks?....even with a generic 450psu, you should be using anywhere near the max of that PSU.
I reckon its your RAM, start remove sticks and increase as your system proves stablilty

Ok, further info that may help.
Originally I had G.Skill DDRII 2GB PC2-6400 Cl5-5-5-15 by two.
Now I have Corsair Twin2X4096 6400C5 CL5-5-5-18 2 by 2GB modules = 4GB.

Nothing is overclocked. std speeds.

PSU is Thermal Master 420W.

I've also removed the auto restart check so I might get a BSOD the next time it crashes/reboots.

SolMiester
11-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, now of those are on the memory QVL, however that doesnt mean the RAM isnt supported.

The yellow slots are recommended for 2 sticks, however you could try the orange slots to be sure its not the board.
Other than that, I would 1st try the old 2 x 1GB RAM stick, you wont notice much difference.

han308
15-06-2009, 12:36 PM

I'm talking reboots. No error messages at all.

OK, i've updated to the latest BIOS and cleared the CMOS as advised by gigabyte. No help.
I've tried running with just one RAM module, 2GB, still crashes.
Tired, the other RAM slots, no help.
Tired increasing the voltage to the Ram, one step. No help.

I have run a stress test on the system and it doesnt tend to fail under stress. Usually when i doing something simple.,Open an app, play a video, just checking thru folders and settings...

Is there another memory/ram test I should try?

Next step, a total clean reinstall of Vista?

SolMiester
15-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Do you have the older memory?, did you try with both new sticks separately?

han308
15-06-2009, 02:30 PM
hmmm, no.
I'll try each ram stick seperately.
I have 2 cosair 2Gb Twin2X4096 6400C5 CL5-5-5-18
and 1 G.skill 6400C5 2Gb module.

You think i should memtest each stick? Or is there a better test software?

SolMiester
15-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Ok, so you have a single 2gb g-skill, try that in both slots, then try separately each of the other 2 2gb sticks. The idea is to isolate a RAM module instability or a slot instability!

Edit - Do you have cpu-z?, use this to take note of the RAM speed and voltage to confirm against manufacturers web-site. Some boards dont set correct settings when on Ńuto'

You might want to check your system failure settings to see if there is a device error on the reboot (BSOD)

TechProX
15-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Try repairing the OS using the Windows Vista home premium disk and see if that works.Then try booting Ubuntu to modify the HDD, allthough it may not work.Good luck.

ZapperBoy10647
15-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Google for some O/C system checks they usually help find were the system is unstable, apart from that i would recommend a PSU upgrade to a well recognized 500-800w PSU, although possibly not essential it will make sure everything runs well even if you upgrade in future...

han308
19-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Ok, so you have a single 2gb g-skill, try that in both slots, then try separately each of the other 2 2gb sticks. The idea is to isolate a RAM module instability or a slot instability!

Edit - Do you have cpu-z?, use this to take note of the RAM speed and voltage to confirm against manufacturers web-site. Some boards dont set correct settings when on Ńuto'

You might want to check your system failure settings to see if there is a device error on the reboot (BSOD)

Hi again.
I tried complete range of combinations with ram modules and slots. And could not get a consistence result, or fail. Each module, in each slot separetely. And I'm sure if i went and did it again, i would get totally different results.
I also tried manually setting the RAM timing. no noticable improvement.

I think I dont get any BSOD because the OS is not halting the system or detecting the failure. I think it must be hardware which is why i never get an error message. It simply reboots.

I have also tested both modules with 3 different test boot cds. Memtest86+, mem scope and windows mem test. No errors, ran for hours...

hmmm?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=360927
new PSU?

new MB?

ZapperBoy10647
19-06-2009, 09:08 PM
http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=7055

or

http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=1748

Are good, although more expensive they will last, also ive heard some bad rep about raidmax psu's

Blam
19-06-2009, 10:43 PM
I'd replace your PSU first, AND backup your data.

Before that PSU fails...

han308
22-06-2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=7055

or

http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=1748

Are good, although more expensive they will last, also ive heard some bad rep about raidmax psu's

How about Valtec?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=363850

Blam
22-06-2009, 12:52 PM
The guys at gpforums think they're OK, although personally I'd go for a Corsair or Antec.

han308
02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Well i brought and installed a new PSU. Vantec ION2 Plus, 500W, and very nice looking PSU it is too.
However, didnt make any difference. Managered to get the PC to crash as before. Now i guess i think about a new motherboard...

SolMiester
02-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I might suggest removing the HIS graphic card, and use the on-board graphic to rule out a flakey card!

han308
02-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Tried that. I got the Video card as I thought the was the onboard video crerating the issues.
So now i've had 2 brands of RAM, new video card, new PSU... only thing that hasnt been replaced is the mainboard and the CPU

Blam
02-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I'd try Mobo before CPU...