PDA

View Full Version : Network Problem - Limited or no connectivity

Tony.br
11-06-2009, 07:35 AM
I was down to my daughters place to setup a new Belkin Wireless router

Spent about 2 hours trying to get it sorted. Finally realised the cause after many tests.

With my computer and every other I have setup, I can turn off the Wired (ethernet) Network connection then re-enable it and all is fine

With my daughters ASUS Laptop, If I turn it off then on and while it says it is connected, it stalls with a message saying "limited or no connectivity" and it seems to be having a problem with "acquiring the network address"

I found that if I reboot at that point it is connected 100%

This happened on her previous ethernet connected modem and when her laptop was connected to my system so it is a computer problem.

Her husbands Compaq Laptop has no problem at all.

Now I find that the Wireless connection does the same thing

Hardware port problems seem to be ruled out because it occurs on both the ethernet port and in the internal wireless connection which to me seems to suggest an XP problem.

If I hover over the wireless connection on the Taskbar, it gives the

network name. Belkin54 yada yada......

speed ... 54 mhz

Signal Strength. Excellent

then "limited or no connectivity" and I notice the icon is scanning and the same story, semingly unable to acquire the network address

reboot and it is all connected.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to a cause

sarel
11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Belkin cr*p. I had the same, only ended when I got another router.

sarel

Tony.br
11-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Many thanks for the comment and while it may be correct as regards the Belkin, this issue predates this.

She has been running Ethernet modems up to now (a D-Link and a Dynalink) that I had lent her, and this problem existed then as well.

I had tried the 2 because of exactly this problem but I felt it was significant that it is occurring with the Wireless connection as well.

pctek
11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Onboard NIC problem.

Blam
11-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Onboard NIC problem.

Most probably although you can try updating the NIC

Blam