PDA

View Full Version : How can I split my internet bandwidth from my router

pingkoy
10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi guys, as I mentioned on my title I just bought a new router (Linksys WRV200), and I wanted to control/split bandwidth of other WiFi device bandwidth who's connected from my router, when they view youtube and/or other streaming website it sucks up all the bandwidth of my internet and nothing left for my desktop :crying

I just want to regulate\control the bandwidth just to be fair for everyone and mostly who's apparently paying the bills (Me)

In addition read the manual of the said router but nothing mention on HOW TO control/regulate the bandwidth on each device who are connected via WiFi/LAN.

Thanks in advance!

And more power to all!

Blam
10-06-2009, 11:02 AM
What you want is QOS, which should limit bandwidth to each type of traffic.

Check your manual if your router supports it

Blam

pingkoy
10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes it is supported but from the manual didn't tell how to used it. The instruction there was very basic and assume that the user already knows all the terms...

1. I tried to put "Users define" which from here there is "src IP" and "dest IP" (I don't know what to choose from the 2 choices)

2. IP address (a bit lost coz am I going to put the IP address of the machine that I want to control the bandwidth or the website)

3. Choose between TCP or UDP or IP (i'm a bit confuse what to choose from there)

4. the port number then choose if im going to use

5. DSCP (Which i dont know if i need to enable this or not) and the value of it (which i'm totally clueless).

any thoughts about this?

in addition, here's the link of my manual.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/wrv200/administration/guide/WRV200_V10_UG_A-Web.pdf

A million Thanks!

pingkoy
10-06-2009, 03:22 PM
bump!

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, either stop them from getting onto the youtube site or whatever it is.

Or block the site in the router. Then they cant go there

Thats what I would do, if I were paying for the net, and whoever used it, didnt pay anything towards it. Did you check QOS to see if this would help?

Renmoo
10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
May I suggest www.webgauge.co.nz? The downside is that you have to buy a new router from them, unfortunately :(

Blam
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
May I suggest www.webgauge.co.nz? (http://www.webgauge.co.nz?) The downside is that you have to buy a new router from them, unfortunately :(

Does webgauage limit as well?

pingkoy-QOS requires a lot of fiddling a bit of technical know how, do you know of a knowledgeable friend that can help you?

IP address should be for what computer you are limiting it for (i.e 192.168.1.4)

TCP or UDP is what type of protocol it "talks" on, you'll need to check the program itself and fine out, or ask here and someone may be able to help.

Port number is what port the program uses, normally HTTP uses port 80/81 or 8080.

Blam

webgauge
10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
@Jamuz & @blam6: WebGauge only meters data usage, and does not limit throughput (bandwidth) at all. This is a feature on the to-do list for the next version of WebGauge.

To limit bandwidth use (i.e. throughput), you will need to do what blam6 is suggesting with QoS. It can be done by tweaking the settings, but can be tedious to get right. The only real suggestion I can offer is to use the QoS to prioritise all traffic going to/from your laptop, and "downgrade" everyone else's.

Another option might be for you to block Youtube altogether - most modern routers have a way for you to block out certain websites, usually under parental control or something similar.

Good luck.

pingkoy
11-06-2009, 04:18 AM
@blam6

Well, i'm a bit technical of myself also, it's just the manual didn't explain well on how to put all the info in the proper order.

just for clarification only, correct me if i'm wrong base on my understanding below.

1. "Src IP" = IP address of the machine I wanted to regulate? I choose this one instead of Dest IP since sometimes I go to youtube and I dont want to restain myself coz I put policy on the Dest IP (Ip add of youtube) to shallow the bandwidth

"Dest IP"= IP address of the website I wish to regulate?

-this is just my understanding, please correct me here.

2. TCP = Transmission Control Protocol who commonly use in www
UDP = almost same as TCP it just it specialize reliability of the data integrity.
IP = Address of node

- my solution are, I put 2 policy on my QoS; 1 is for TCP and the other 1 is for UDP, I didn't put IP coz it will be entire traffic will be affected on the Src IP (machine)

4. from my router it has range of IP so I just put 0 - 65053 or 80 - 8080 (just for web browsing although im not sure if the streaming use the same port as www)

5. DSCP = I just disable this since im not using VoIP on my network

Guys, can you check on this one?
if you can add on something it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!