PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone

davidmmac
09-06-2009, 10:20 AM
BBC Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8086584.stm)

Apple link (http://www.apple.com/iphone/)

Apparently the "S" stands for speed (as it's supposed to be twice as fast).

As usual it's got some new features including a video camera (which apparently records 30fps :stare:), voice control, and a compass.

I want one :dogeye:

Nermal
09-06-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm just hoping that OS 3 fixes all the annoying bugs. I have an iPod at the moment and it has enough "little problems" to be annoying (eg. birthdays appearing incorrectly, pause/resume intermittently failing, album art disappearing). Hopefully the next release will be solid :)

robbyp
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
BBC Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8086584.stm)

Apple link (http://www.apple.com/iphone/)

Apparently the "S" stands for speed (as it's supposed to be twice as fast).

As usual it's got some new features including a video camera (which apparently records 30fps :stare:), voice control, and a compass.

I want one :dogeye:

Pretty boring upgrade. No OLED screen, or multiple applications, no flash for the browser.

daywalker
09-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Pretty boring upgrade. No OLED screen, or multiple applications, no flash for the browser.

Not really boring as you've seen, it has upgraded CPU, RAM, CAMERA, APPS features which voice control, compass and cut/copy/paste. Just don't know how Vodafone would price it up in 2 years contract.

beeswax34
10-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Not really boring as you've seen, it has upgraded CPU, RAM, CAMERA, APPS features which voice control, compass and cut/copy/paste. Just don't know how Vodafone would price it up in 2 years contract.

Yes, upgraded indeed other than the fact that most of these features have been in phones for years now. If you have to list cut/copy/paste as a feature for a "smartphone", you're doing it wrong.

daywalker
10-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Yes, upgraded indeed other than the fact that most of these features have been in phones for years now. If you have to list cut/copy/paste as a feature for a "smartphone", you're doing it wrong.

Can you tell what phones have those new iphone features for years ? Maybe you should have watch new iphone video demonstrate then

robbyp
10-06-2009, 01:28 AM

It is more just tweaking the old phone, but adding new features to give the consumer a reason to upgrade. I have an ipod touch, and I don't find it particulally laggy, although it already had a faster processor than the iphone 3G. I was hoping for a new evolutionary device, such as a multitouch tablet. They are going to release one, but it comes down to timing, and keeping the punter hungry.

robbyp
10-06-2009, 01:30 AM

SOme of the new features can be added to the existing device, via a software upgrade. eg spotlight, bluetooth, and cut and paste. You really only need the improved CPU and ram for more 3D games.

Ninjabear
10-06-2009, 06:21 AM
The tilt screen/landscape feature for example was a feature that was in my Nokia N82 way before iphone was released . Just because everyone has one and find out this feature doesn't mean that it hasn't been implemented in other electronics.
and then there's the (Sony Ericsson Shake control or Samsung Motion play technologies which is a version of the acceleratometer.

Cut and paste has been in symbian for ages. It's the pencil button on the symbian devices. Im sure blackberry can cut and paste too. Iphone took far too long to have this feature which is a feature that's not really a feature but rather a basic function

No OLED in apple iphone which means the picture quality will be pretty limited.

Samsung Omnia is 640 x 360 pixels while Iphone is 480-by-320
A new camera that is 3 megapixel?
You know Sony Ericsson W995 has released a 8 megapixel camera and my N82 has 5 megapixel with a Xenon Flash .

Voice control has been around for ages. I've been using voice dialling ever since 6 years ago when i had a 6230

You can watch youtube easily on other devices using Skyfire Browser.

I don't see the reason to buy an Iphone and the fact Itunes is such an annoying application. I just can't describe how irritating it is to use that software

Also the sleekness/slimness was stolen from Motorola Razr series!

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't have a memory card slot where a N97 that has 32GB internal memory can be expanded further by having a 16GB memory card

Why buy an iphone when other companies have better mobiles?I simply don't understand. Ah yes the hype. I get it now. it's all because of the hype

I don't have a hatred against apple but their products are pretty average to me

Iphone 3GS . S stands for stupid .LOL

Blam
10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
The reason the iphone is so popular is because it is such a powerful device.

It has an insanely fast samsung ARM processor in its class, and its graphics rendering is uncomparable to other phones.

Not to mention, that crisp high res screen....

Blam

Ninjabear
10-06-2009, 02:26 PM

It has an insanely fast samsung ARM processor in its class, and its graphics rendering is uncomparable to other phones.

Not to mention, that crisp high res screen....

Blam

Thats pretty debatable. Iphone isnt a powerful device. The crisp high res screen compared to Samsung Omnia HD isnt much amazing.

A OLED screen will perform better than an LCD screen .

If it is a powerful device surely it doesn't take 2 years to implement copy and paste?

davidmmac
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Also you look way cooler walking down the street with an iPhone then you do with some expensive nokia brick, even if the brick does do many more things.

daywalker
10-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Found this funny pic related to new iphone: http://i.gizmodo.com/5284929/the-iphone-3g-asserrrs

johcar
10-06-2009, 11:12 PM
This (http://i.gizmodo.com/5277499/palm-pre-review?skyline=true&s=i) is the one worth waiting for. Some faults, but overall a pretty good review for a brand new product.

Now we just have to wait for the WCDMA version to become available...

The reviewer is scathing of the iPhone - even the new one.

plod
10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
This (http://i.gizmodo.com/5277499/palm-pre-review?skyline=true&s=i) is the one worth waiting for. Some faults, but overall a pretty good review for a brand new product.

Now we just have to wait for the WCDMA version to become available...

The reviewer is scathing of the iPhone - even the new one.

The reviewer hasn't used the new iphone, he has used the 3.0 software which has been released to developers. I would hardly call that scathing
I wonder how many lawsuits palm will get with people slicing themselves. Great for the tomatoes