PDA

View Full Version : Operating Systems

Sweep
09-06-2009, 02:02 AM
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=1755&tag=nl.e101

The person has a point.

When I had MSDOS 3.3 there was only one version.
But finished MSDOS with 6.23.
Then I went to Windows 3
Then I went to Win 3.11

And ad nuseaum.

johcar
09-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree with Mr Hiner from Techrepublic, however the idiots (IMO) in the Marketing Department at the Redmond giant wil not want to miss the opportunity to make all those extra ads for multiple products and maximise revenue from having SIX 'different' operating systems to sell. That plus greed and the arrogance of M$ to think that their customers ALL understand and need the alleged differences between the versions....

Digby
09-06-2009, 09:05 AM
x3
good thread

pcuser42
09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I actually quite like the different versions. Why pay for the features of Vista Ultimae when all you need is Home Premium?

johcar
09-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I actually quite like the different versions. Why pay for the features of Vista Ultimae when all you need is Home Premium?

I have Vista Ultimate and so no benefits over 'lesser' versions. The Ultimate Extras are a joke.

R2x1
09-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Personally, I find a finger down the throat is easier and more effective than the "hands 'round the neck" approach of Microsoft's marketing smoke-generators. ;)

pctek
09-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Why pay for the features of Vista Ultimae when all you need is Home Premium?

Used to be during the install, you chose Custom and ticked or unticked those bits you wanted or didn't want.

Now, you get stuck with the crap whether you want or not.

pcuser42
09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I still think you shouldn't have to pay for what you'll never use.

nofam
09-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Used to be during the install, you chose Custom and ticked or unticked those bits you wanted or didn't want.

Now, you get stuck with the crap whether you want or not.

Absolutely right - Microsoft bang on about the modular nature of Server 2008 core; you only install what you need based on 'roles'. Sure, there are actually around 7 different versions, but most people will opt for Standard, and then just cull out the pieces they don't need.

Vista/W7 should be the same IMHO.

johcar
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
But KNOWING what you aren't going to use ahead of time can be difficult...

Nermal
09-06-2009, 10:45 AM

The single release doesn't have to be at the Ultimate price point. Stop reading now if you don't want to see an Apple comparison, but...

... Apple announced OS 10.6 today, and the upgrade from 10.5 costs $20. That gets you the "full" OS with all of the features, not a cut-down version. While I don't expect Microsoft to sell the Windows 7 upgrade for $20 (frankly I'm amazed that Apple is), it certainly doesn't need to be as expensive as it is.

sammo450
09-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Variety is the spice of life. Windows should ship on one disc, and the consumer can choose which options they want and pay for that. If they don't want options, that's fine, they can save money, whereas some people like the prestige of having the 'Ultimate' version of something. I think there may be a little Microsoft bashing here...
@Nermal - Microsoft are probably close to monopolising the home consumer market, and so can charge whatever they want :P

wainuitech
09-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Variety is the spice of life. Windows should ship on one disc, and the consumer can choose which options they want and pay for that. If they don't want options, that's fine, they can save money, whereas some people like the prestige of having the 'Ultimate' version of something. I think there may be a little Microsoft bashing here

That more or less covers it - Assuming W7 is going to ship as per Vista, every version will be on the DVD you purchase, the license key will say what installs and what doesn't.

If you were to purchase the Home Premium version, that's what installs, if you purchase the Ultimate then the same applies. At the end of the day theses only three -- Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, the other two, Home Basic & Starter Edition wouldn't be worth having. Heres each features. (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=659)

There are features I use in Vista Ultimate, that are not available in the Basic for example - W7 should be the same.

Take another example - if you want to use the XP mode in W7 MS say you need to purchase the appropriate license to use the features.

Hell lots of people get into enough trouble with one OS, let alone two on the same PC.
Even when using XP - the majority of average home users will NEVER use most of its features.

Sweep
09-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Did anyone here buy MSPlus for say Win98SE?

Digby
09-06-2009, 04:31 PM

I didn't - but I do remember it. Wasn't it really only just eye candy ?

pcuser42
09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
I believe it also had extra applications other than eye candy - Pinball comes to mind. :D

wainuitech
09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Dont know much about 98 Plus, but I do have the Windows XP Plus (http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_plus.asp) laying about someplace.

Nermal
09-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I didn't - but I do remember it. Wasn't it really only just eye candy ?

I seem to recall it including DoubleSpace, for automatic file compression too.

hueybot3000
09-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Dad did back in the day, cant remember the differences but i just remember the windows 98 Plus 98 startup logo

And TBH Microsoft have gone downhill, im using the windows 7 64bit RC atm and I wont be buying it. Cant justify the money when its basically vista with a few changes that bug me more than anything

The world should convert to linux

SolMiester
09-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Why stop at 1 o/s version, what about 1 CPU speed and core #?.....Technology changes, if people are confused with PC o/s's, that will have to get more savy, its the way of the world....it certainly wont get easier. Working in the industry, their is always something coming out that you have to learn, there always will be.....

limepile
09-06-2009, 10:22 PM
People like us are prepared to invest a few hours figuring things out when it comes to os's, but most people don't or can't be bothered. They want one simple solution, an os that lets them browse and read email. I'm willing to bet that there are more home pc's out here than business ones, thousands that get their it advice from friends and neighbours. I used to be the tech guy in my neighbourhood when XP was being used, but when Vista came along I went over to the Lightside and am no more use as I really don't understand Vista...everyone I know who uses it hates it. When asked I recommend Apple or linux...how come those two os's can do seamless upgrades ??

Sweep
09-06-2009, 11:48 PM
In my view you can use whatever O/S you want.

Also in my opinion you have to be careful in upgrading in any event.

Take the backup floppies I made under MSDOS3.3 and could not restore under MSDOS6.23.

Take the music backups that I made under Nero7 but Nero7 does not work under WinXP Pro or Vista or Win7.

Just backed up C:\ and D:\ using Win7
C:\ is WinXP and D:\ is Win7

Win7 is more than eyecandy.
There are more tools which will help the average user I think.

jwil1
10-06-2009, 12:01 AM
There should be options for buying Windows, period. I think there were too many versions of Vista though.

I (and the average user) would not want to pay for enterprise features that they will never, never use. OS X is a bit different, as it is a relatively dumbed down OS that doesn't have as many power user tools as Windows.

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Err Nero 7 does work in XP Pro (I was using it in XP Pro). You probably had an older version of it, if it didnt work. It also works in Vista (If you installed the right version 7.7.5.1 according to the Nero site, is certified for Vista)

Sweep
10-06-2009, 12:54 AM
Err Nero 7 does work in XP Pro (I was using it in XP Pro). You probably had an older version of it, if it didnt work. It also works in Vista (If you installed the right version 7.7.5.1 according to the Nero site, is certified for Vista)

XP Pro 64 bit?

pcuser42
10-06-2009, 08:29 AM
There should be options for buying Windows, period. I think there were too many versions of Vista though.

Home Basic should never have existed. :p

wainuitech
10-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Home Basic should never have existed. :p Yeah -its a bit of dog, with Windows 7 that wont be a problem,
Windows 7 Home Basic, which lacks the Aero interface, will be available for sale only in emerging markets and will not legally be available for sale in the U.S., Western Europe, Japan, and other developed countries. The version of W7 that will be available to the "Average Home user" will be Home Premium. Thats of course unless the OEMS ( HP, DELL) start putting out the "crap" version
Windows 7 Starter Edition, with its artificial restriction on performance (you can only run three simultaneous programs) will be available for sale worldwide, but only as a preinstalled operating system on OEM-built PCs “limited to specific types of hardware.” -- In other words, get what you pay for !

R2x1
10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah -its a bit of dog, with Windows 7 that wont be a problem, The version of W7 that will be available to the "Average Home user" will be Home Premium. Thats of course unless the OEMS ( HP, DELL) start putting out the "crap" version --In other words, get what you pay for !

That is a major step up in value then - a real first for M$. :p ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2009, 12:14 PM
XP Pro 64 bit?

Well Nerovision worked fine when I used it in x64. That was the only thing I used in x64. The hardest bit was removing the bloody thing (Nero) :lol: It wouldnt uninstall. So, I had to use the tool, then I deleted all of its entries / folders. Its not installed at the mo tho. CdburnerXP / Poweriso are good enough for me