PDA

View Full Version : DVD Drive Opens every Startup

straka01
08-06-2009, 09:49 PM
When I start my XP PC the DVD drive opens during boot up and even if I close it it just opens again.
Does anyone know why this has started happening?
It never used to do this - just started after moving the PC. i was wondering if the button was permanently stuck in but it seems to depress/click as usual. I have taken the front cover of the PC to make sure the button is not depressed pemanently - all seems fine.
I haven't installed any programs or hardware - just moved the PC from one location to another.
Is there a way to CLOSE the drive? I know there is a button you can click on to OPEN it. Maybe there's a control in SETUP?
I really don't know whether it's a software or hardware fix needed.
the drive is only a few months old - hardly been used - but has previously performed very well.
Just seems a strange thing to be happening - I've never struck it before so wondered whether anyone else had?
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Have you scanned the pc for malware, since trojans can do that if its on the internet/broadband? If you have, replace it

Blam
08-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I know of a VB script that does that, check if there's anything on your startup that shouldn't..

straka01
08-06-2009, 10:35 PM
This PC is not currently on the internet - although it used to be.
I've checked the start-up and deleted anything I thought was sus. - on reboot still does the same.
Actually, it always opens the DVD drive before Windows OS starts loading...
Anyway, I'm currently doing a scan using AVG which i hope will catch any trojans?
Tomorrow, if I can't get any improvement in the situation, I'll connect wireless broadband & do an online trojan scan which i think would be better.
Otherwsie - I'll try replacing the drive with another one!
Oh, the joys of computing.....

wainuitech
08-06-2009, 11:07 PM
It never used to do this - just started after moving the PC I think you have answered your own question - if its only started after moving the PC, and is not on the Internet, then something may have moved.

1st thing, Check the power Lead, make sure the Molex (or SATA) power plug has not come lose, remove it and then plug it back in - if its moved slightly it could be shorting, causing the power to open the Drive.

Check all power Leads - make sure nothing has moved or come lose.

Loosen the screws holding the Drive, make sure with the front cover ( if it has one), that the pressure is not pushing the open button ( even a bit), try it with the front cover off - does it still open?

Could also be a power Supply causing problems - try another optical drive and/or PSU if you have a spare.

straka01
09-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Well I think your advice certainly helped. I made sure all the drives were securely screwing in tight. Then I made sure the connections were tight. Spent all day with the front cover off as it seemed the button on the cover was not interfacing properly with the drive button. Even then it worked well at times, not at others. Spent the day going through a pile of my friends CDs DVDs and checking/cataloging what was on them. By the end of the day it seemed to be behaving OK. So I reinstalled the front cover making sure it was hard up to the DVD button - all seems to be going OK & the drive draw stays in place as required. Let's hope it stays true.
I think your advice was great & right on the button. MANY THANKS

wainuitech
09-06-2009, 11:42 PM
making sure it was hard up to the DVD button Good that its working, but if it plays up, move the whole drive back a mm or two - the button on the front of the cover shouldn't actually be touching (or if it is only just) when the covers in place, that way when you press the button on the cover, that moves in, hits the DVD button and then the draw opens.

Could also have been a bit of crap in there, and when the PC was moved it fell in the wrong place.