PDA

View Full Version : Solved: PITA network disconnect problem

braindead
08-06-2009, 06:26 PM
This one had me stumped for about 10 days of useless sleuthing, reinstalling a fresh full working XP Home SP3 system on a new home-built PC about 4 times, plus various other mind-contorting try-and-see attempts that led nowhere.

System:
Mobo: Asus P5QL Pro
Display: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
NIC: Realtek RTL8139/810xFamily Fast Ethernet
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6750
RAM: Fast 3GB

Symptoms:
After connecting to the net for seconds or minutes, the connection would quit. Sometimes I could reconnect, but the same thing happened. There was a frustrating randomness about the disconnects and various cryptic error messages appeared in XP's event viewer that led nowhere.

First I tried the onboard NIC, then a PCI NIC, then replaced the PCI NIC with a new card. Disconnects continued. I scoured the web for days without success. I took the mobo back to the vendor and he could not solve this fault either. Every time it was back to square one.

I dug deeper, using the performance tool included with XP's task manager and noticed when the connection failed, the CPUs would spike and freeze at between 50% and 100%. No wonder everything froze and needed a reboot! From there I tracked the fault to one of the svchost.exe services in Task Manager. The one that caused the problem was assigned to:

DNScache > DNS Client > C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll

With this new info I searched the net again and ended up at Technibble (http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/)

On this page was a comment (No.27) by Charles Rippert (all credit to him and Technibble!) with a simple fix:

Hi,
the procedure describe above didn’t help on my computers.
Deleting the Value “NetworkService = DnsCache” in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WinNT\CurrentVersion\SvcHo st did the trick for me on a lot of systems.
Cheers!
Charles
(SME-Admin of 50+ PCs/NBs)

I applied the fix and voila!...everything came right. That's all it took!

I'm hoping all this info might help to prevent permanent baldness in anyone who comes across this particular disconnect fault.

Cheers :)

Blam
08-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Cool!

Thanks for telling, should help those in the future wih that problem:)