PDA

View Full Version : DSL-G604T No Wireless Connectivity

Piratedog
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi,

Hoping someone can help, have hunted through past posts and through internet for info. Have done my head in abit and decided just to ask someone here!

I am running a D Link router as named in the title. Connects to the net fine via ethernet, but can't seem to connect wirelessly.

ISP: XNET
Running Internet Explorer, Windows XP

Have reset the router to start a fresh, but still no luck. Again, internet via ethernet works fine, but still no wireless connectivity. The blue light is on, and the icon advises that wireless is enabled - but there are none detected.

Laptop is an HP 6730b.

Hope someone can help :help: Thanks :rolleyes:

CYaBro
08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Have you logged in to the router's web config and checked the WLAN setting there?
It may be that the WLAN is disabled on your router.
Also check that some security is enabled, WPA or WPA2 if possible.

Piratedog
08-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Have you logged in to the router's web config and checked the WLAN setting there?
It may be that the WLAN is disabled on your router.
Also check that some security is enabled, WPA or WPA2 if possible.

Hi there CYaBro, thanks for the reply.

Yip, done all that - still nothing.

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2009, 11:02 PM
1. Is Enable AP ticked under the wireless tab in the router?

2. Are both on the same channel ?

3. Did you save the settings, then reboot the router after?

Piratedog
10-06-2009, 12:17 AM
1. Is Enable AP ticked under the wireless tab in the router?

2. Are both on the same channel ?

3. Did you save the settings, then reboot the router after?

Thanks Speedy,

Yes to all 3. Clearly there is something a miss, couldn't set up my wireless printer either. Completely new to wireless set up so bear with me.

Now, I have the router connected to lappy no.1 for kids (has no wireless) via ethernet cable. I use lappy no.2 (wireless capable) to access net also via ethernet cable connected to the same router. I want to use lappy no.2 wirelessly for ability to move about without cables. I have been in and unclicked use windows to configure wireless via computer wireless set up on lappy, (suggestion from troubleshooting) this didn't change things. I am now back to square one. Have set the same settings on router through lappy no.1.
Now, I used to get a pop up tell me that a wireless network was detected (lappy no.2), but I never used it (had forgotten wep key and didn't know how to get it - silly now I see how easy that was to do!). I then tried to change from WEP to WAP security via router config and then reset the router after many failed attempts to connect wirelessly.

Not sure if this is all sounding like babble, YES, it is babble - sorry. :xmouth: but I'm trying to give all the info poss for a solution.

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Is service pack 2 or 3 installed (If laptop 2 has XP on it)?? I think one of these HAVE to be installed, for wireless to work at all. If there is NO SP installed at all, thats probably why its not working. Does laptop 2 have its own program to set up wireless? The wireless youre talking about (that laptop 2 has) is WI-FI right, not IRDA, or bluetooth?

Piratedog
10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
In addition: I am disconnecting the ethernet cable to lappy no.2 when I try to connect wirelessly. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
10-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Did you put an ip in manually on laptop 2 (under its LAN properties , under TCP/IP)??? And type in 10.1.1.1 (for the gateway / router as well)?

What about the workgroups?? Do both have the same workgroup name?

Piratedog
12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Good Morning All,

Ok - thanks for replies. Now, firstly laptop2 has WiFi. (Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100). LAN properties: IP set to obtain automatically as well as DNS. Just entered DNS settings for Xnet and left IP to auto, no difference. Workgroup name on router, Laptop1 & laptop2 are all the same.

Cheers.

Piratedog
12-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Whoops, and also forgot to mention - Laptop2 running XP with service pack2.

Speedy Gonzales
12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Give it a manual IP (an IP within the router's IP range). Because if its on auto, it may change everytime you reboot it. If you give it an IP, it'll keep the IP all the time.

SolMiester
12-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I would turn off all security on wireless from the router, make sure the SSID is broadcast and there is no MAC filtering....

If neither lappy picks up the wireless, the router is knackered.....

Piratedog
14-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Cheers for the replies, I'll give those suggestions a try also. Thank you.

TechProX
15-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Try going in to My network places and see if you can find your device there as well check the device you are connecting to