PDA

View Full Version : Tax Headache

Greven
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Does anyone here understand the tax system?

I put all my summary of earnings details into the online calculator & it said I owe $170. I am on the correct tax code, so the only thing I can think of is they have counted my vehicle reimbursements as taxable when they are supposed to be tax free.:help:

bk T
07-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Does anyone here understand the tax system?

I put all my summary of earnings details into the online calculator & it said I owe $170. I am on the correct tax code, so the only thing I can think of is they have counted my vehicle reimbursements as taxable when they are supposed to be tax free.:help:

No. I don't. The NZ tax system is extremely confusing and complicated. They take you go round the bush to do a simple (supposedly) calculation. Some times, I wonder what actually they are trying to achieve. Probably, they are just too free and have nothing better to do than taking us to go round the bush. Singapore's Tax system is so simple and straight forward. Anyone with some basic understanding of the written language (English/Chinese/ Malay/ Tamil) can file his/her tax returns without much hassle.

Renmoo
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Best bet is to call them...

Ofthesea
07-06-2009, 11:34 PM
You can also register online and send them your question

beeswax34
07-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Call them. My paper form has me owing while the online one gives me a refund...

Ninjabear
08-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Heh. I think everyone has experienced around the bush in NZ and not just the tax system. Studylink for example loves taking you through the beautiful scenary in a forest then at the end of the journey if you have further question each and everyone gives a different answer and takes you to another round through a different forest again

Lurking
08-06-2009, 01:58 PM
You get a better service by going online.

Our spreadsheets had us owing tax, but online gave us two good refunds, reason, new tax scales. IR 3G January 2009.

Lurking.

Ps. Makes for an easier spreadsheet @IF function tooo!.

lurks.

bk T
08-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Heh. I think everyone has experienced around the bush in NZ and not just the tax system. Studylink for example loves taking you through the beautiful scenary in a forest then at the end of the journey if you have further question each and everyone gives a different answer and takes you to another round through a different forest again

You are dead right. :clap:clap

And, in the end of the day, you're lost in the jungle.

wotz
08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
If you earned most of your income in the period 1/10/08 - 31/3/09 then this will happen. The PAYE tables were changed then to the new, lower tax rate, but the tax bill is worked out on the average of the old and new rates. This means that even though you were taxed correctly you will still owe.

Greven
08-06-2009, 07:56 PM
If you earned most of your income in the period 1/10/08 - 31/3/09 then this will happen. The PAYE tables were changed then to the new, lower tax rate, but the tax bill is worked out on the average of the old and new rates. This means that even though you were taxed correctly you will still owe.

I don't think that I earned enough extra in that period to rack up $170 in unpaid tax, but that is a very interesting explanation & I'll bet a lot of people get caught out by that.