PDA

View Full Version : Schools Hot water supply mandatory?

bk T
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Is hot water supply in schools mandatory in Auckland? My daughter told me that her school has got no hot water supply for washing hands! What about other schools in Auckland?

pine-o-cleen
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Nope.

hueybot3000
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Really? thats sad

Surely hooking up those gas heater things would be cheap enough? Cheap to run anyway

pine-o-cleen
07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Schools have such a limited budget. Nothing is 'cheap' for a school.

hueybot3000
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
yeah i get that but not having hot water is a hygiene issue, we all know its better to wash with warm water

bk T
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Schools have such a limited budget. Nothing is 'cheap' for a school.

Or rather, schools mis-managed (from my observation) fundings.:D

kenj
08-06-2009, 06:45 AM
yeah i get that but not having hot water is a hygiene issue, we all know its better to wash with warm water

Why?

Ken

gary67
08-06-2009, 06:48 AM
I would think it would be even building sites are meant to have it but don't always do so

Trev
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't ever remember washing my hands at school 45 years ago.
:)

user
08-06-2009, 10:21 AM

Do we? Where is that stated? It makes it nicer to wash in warm water but I don't think it is a hygiene issue. Harden up!

BobM
08-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Wikipedia - hand washing.

hueybot3000
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Quote wikipedia

"Water Temperature

Hot water that is comfortable for washing hands is not hot enough to kill bacteria. However, warm, soapy water is more effective than cold, soapy water at removing the natural oils on your hands which hold soils and bacteria."

PaulD
08-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Nope.

Apparently wrong

"Every wash-hand basin shall be provided with an adequate piped supply of warm water, liquid soap and equipment to facilitate adequate hand drying. If a wash-hand basin in an existing building does not comply with this requirement, schools shall bring the wash-hand basin into compliance when that wash-hand basin is upgraded. All newly-installed wash-hand basins must comply with this requirement. Buildings with hot water systems to hand basins shall at all times be provided with an adequate piped supply of hot water which is not to exceed a maximum temperature of 40o C. "

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/educationSectors/Schools/SchoolOperations/PropertyManagement/NetworkNoticeboard/NetworkNews/NetworkNewsApril2009.aspx#HandWashing

user
08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Apparently wrong

"Every wash-hand basin shall be provided with an adequate piped supply of warm water, liquid soap and equipment to facilitate adequate hand drying. If a wash-hand basin in an existing building does not comply with this requirement, schools shall bring the wash-hand basin into compliance when that wash-hand basin is upgraded. All newly-installed wash-hand basins must comply with this requirement. "

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/educationSectors/Schools/SchoolOperations/PropertyManagement/NetworkNoticeboard/NetworkNews/NetworkNewsApril2009.aspx#HandWashing

Well there you go then. It is not mandatory for existing facilities which do not have hot water, only when they are upgraded.

hueybot3000
08-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Is hot water supply in schools mandatory in Auckland? My daughter told me that her school has got no hot water supply for washing hands! What about other schools in Auckland?

So bk T...

Tell your daughter to rally up her friends and smash all the basins, then they'l have warm water :banana

wainuitech
08-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Well there you go then. It is not mandatory for existing facilities which do not have hot water, only when they are upgraded. Obviously didn't read the rest of the article posted;

Schools must upgrade to the standard in the Code, which includes the provision of warm water, liquid soap and hand drying facilities, when upgrading or installing new facilities, when doing upgrades or building new facilities.

If the facilities at your school do not meet the standard in the Code and you donít have upgrades planned in your 10-Year Property Plan (10YPP), your school could be facing a health and safety risk that has the potential to shut the school in times of epidemics/pandemics.

bk T
08-06-2009, 09:11 PM
So, looks like again, it's an 'enforcement' problem. This seems to be quite a common issue in N. Zealand. Most (if not all) departments /ministries have a set of fairly good regulations but they have difficulties in enforcing those rules and regulations, either don't know or don't bother to do so - typical kiwi attitude.

Taking the present swine flu situation into consideration, do you think that I should write to the Ministry or the local city Council to complain about it? But, from my personal experience, most likely that they will just ignore my letter. Unlike Singapore (once again), I'm 100% sure to receive an official reply within 2 weeks!

user
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that they are not mandatory AT THE PRESENT MOMENT, only within the next 10 year time frame...

somebody
08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
So, looks like again, it's an 'enforcement' problem. This seems to be quite a common issue in N. Zealand. Most (if not all) departments /ministries have a set of fairly good regulations but they have difficulties in enforcing those rules and regulations, either don't know or don't bother to do so - typical kiwi attitude.

Taking the present swine flu situation into consideration, do you think that I should write to the Ministry or the local city Council to complain about it? But, from my personal experience, most likely that they will just ignore my letter. Unlike Singapore (once again), I'm 100% sure to receive an official reply within 2 weeks!

Write to the school Board of Trustees as a concerned parent, or even better, go and visit the school and talk to the principal. A visit will ensure that you get some sort of response.

Just bear in mind though that schools in NZ are severely underfunded, so there's a gap between things they would like to do, and things that they can actually afford to do.

PaulD
08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
The Building Code only has hot water as "preferable".

"The essential requirement is the provision of a basin
with cold water immediately available to users of soil
fixtures particularly before handling food. While
perhaps preferable, it is often not required or
practical to supply hot water in some places such as
roadside rest areas."

www.dbh.govt.nz/UserFiles/File/Publications/Building/Compliance-documents/clause-G1.pdf

bk T
08-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, do 'most' schools in NZ have no hot water supply or just a few 'odd' individual schools have no hot water?

hueybot3000
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
the two schools i went to (finished 3 years ago) had hot water, one was private and one was state

Sweep
08-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, do 'most' schools in NZ have no hot water supply or just a few 'odd' individual schools have no hot water?

Depends on where or what you call school. I am currently taking on line courses which means I have access to hot water that I pay for at home.

If you have concerns about hand washing at the school then you may consider buying your daughter a spray of some type which she could take with her to the school she attends.

As I have not attended "most" schools in New Zealand I have no idea.

Perhaps do a poll like which school, year, hot water or not.

trinsic
09-06-2009, 12:03 AM
School I went to only had two boys toilets usable out of a total of nine. Maybe this was the reason why :p

Sweep
09-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Then of course schools get vandalised or arson can be involved.

Perhaps in the future no person will go to school at all.

Everyone will learn through brain implants through which will come txts and other information which of course you will all understand and then all will be equal.

But then everyone will agree and all will drive Holdens or Fords as it happens according to your implant.

We have the Internet and whatever you read you can believe or not.

R2x1
09-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Any disputes here should be referred to the Privy Council. There could be a knighthood in it.