PDA

View Full Version : What cooling system?

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Well what cooling system should i get. I can get a very good liquid cooling system or i can get a excellent air cooling system with very good fans, new powersupply and memory.

So im lost for what i should do, I dont have much time till I buy:confused::confused::confused:

Speedy Gonzales
07-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Depends what you can afford

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I can afford a very good liquid cooling system from a good brand. But I could get all that other stuff with the air cooling

stormdragon
07-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Well your current case is useless in terms of cooling.

Whats your budget?

I see you'll OCing are you intending to try and get this higher?

Are you after a quiet system or simply a cool noisemaker?

If you go with Water Cooling do you have the knowledge/tools to do this yourself or would you get a store to fit it?

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Well your current case is useless in terms of cooling.

Whats your budget?

I see you'll OCing are you intending to try and get this higher?

Are you after a quiet system or simply a cool noisemaker?

If you go with Water Cooling do you have the knowledge/tools to do this yourself or would you get a store to fit it?

Well, my budget is about $640, and yes I am trying to overclock my Q6600 past at lest 3.0ghz. I dont care how much noise it makes as I have very loud speakers+sub :punk. I have never done this before but i have connections and friends who know alot about this sort of stuff.

qazwsxokmijn
07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Get a Thermalright IFX-14 or Ultra-120 Extreme. Couple it with a goo 12cm fan and you're good to go. As you can see I have my Q6600 at 3.4GHz using the TRUE120 with a Scythe fan and it loads at mid-high 50s.

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I was looking at the Xigmatek XT-S1284 Achilles and having about 3 of there fans because of its orange theme, which is how im modding my case. Would the Thermaltake IFX-14 be anybetter?

qazwsxokmijn
07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
IFX-14 is slightly better than Ultra-120 Extreme, and Ultra-120 Extreme is better than the XT-1284 Achilles.

Brooko
07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
The Xiggy is a good cooler OOTB - and handles the Q6600 no probs. I use one, and initially took my system up to 3.3 (similar OC to qazwsxokmijn's) - but clocked it back down to 3.0 because I'm more comfortable with that for longetivity.

If you were going to get the TRUE 120 lapped - it's widely regarded as the best air cooler on the market (esp among o'clockers).

For a start off, I'd look at replacing your case. I goggled the 'wizard' and couldn't find it - but the rest of the Trendsonic cases all look 'budget' - and you want a decent case if you're going to proceed with modding & o'clocking. I'd recommend an Antec 300 for a midsize-case, or the Antec 900 for a full size. You'll probably also need to buy an extra couple of 120mm fans for the case.

Next - you didn't mention your PSU. If you've got a basic budget PSU, you should replace it now for something dependable (Silverstone, Corsair etc).

Finally - with your cooler purchase - air is all you really need if you're not pushing to the extremes. Three coolers I'd recommend (I considered them all for my build) = TRUE 120, Xigmatek Dark Knight (comes with MOBO backplate), or Noctua NH-U12P.

stormdragon
07-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Just came across another of your threads do you still have the case in your signiture or did you upgrade to one of those you mentioned here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=99164)?

hueybot3000
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I voted water, just cos I use it and like it. To watercool CPU and Chipset will set you back 300 bucks, thats an ok pump, blocks and radiator. Still leaves you 300 for psu and memory

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
I am going for the corsair 750watt psu because it is orange =P and in the near future saving up for an sli rig sort of thing. I have already started to mod my case, (window and different colour), and not looking to pull away from it in a long time. It runs my q6600 very cool, 22 C with out overclocking at idle with only one intake fan and its stock cooler. I just want a little more juice!

hueybot3000
07-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Another reason to go water, if your all about looks watercooling is the way to go

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Just came across another of your threads do you still have the case in your signiture or did you upgrade to one of those you mentioned here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=99164)?

Well i havnt had my pc for a little while so i A) didnt uplaod it by then or B) didnt even have it =P, the only thing i have put into my computer since new is a wifi pci card =P

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Another reason to go water, if your all about looks watercooling is the way to go

What kind of brand did you go with. Does it cool extremly well. I would like to go liquid as well but need other parts as well.
Where did you buy it from?

stormdragon
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I have already started to mod my case, (window and different colour), and not looking to pull away from it in a long time.

So whats it allow in terms of case fans, radiator mounts? Its pointless having an awsome CPU cooler if your cases air flow is non-existant.

hueybot3000
07-06-2009, 09:15 PM
I didnt buy a brand name pre built thing (from what ive seen and heard they're not great)

I bought the parts from the US, a few of us pitched in and bought a fair bit of stuff.

Cant remember exactly what im using, will open up case and have a look, il take a pic for you too

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 09:17 PM
So whats it allow in terms of case fans, radiator mounts? Its pointless having an awsome CPU cooler if your cases air flow is non-existant.

Well first if i go with air cooling I will get some good quality fans for the cpu cooling. I can mount up to 5 fans in the case with mods and a 240mm rad in either the top (with mods) or the front (with mods yet again) or the back externally.

Openingfuel
07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I know this is off topic but i got my orange drive bay covers in! :clap

hueybot3000
07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Alright I had a look

I'm using a swifttech pump (cant see model number but its bloody good)
a black ice 240mm radiator and a 120mm which i think is also black ice
and thermaltake block, i need to replace this though.

Im using 1/2inch tube throughout

Its on my e6600 oc 3.6ghz, 12 hours of orthos and its sitting at 50 maybe less
I have the 240mm radiator on top with fans sucking air through and out the top, and the 120mm in front over the hard drive cage

Sorry about bad picks, couldnt find camera cord so jsut used phone