PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modem problem

Driftwood
07-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Bought a D-Link DSL-G604T/TX on trademe for a friend.
First problem was, no arial. Contacted the seller & the responce was, "I didn't say there was one with it". So anyway, moving on, got an arial & got it going. After a couple of days it started dropping out intermitantly. I had already done a reset so thought I'd check the firmware version & see if there was an update available. But being a xtra issued one, the D-Link website refers you to an xtra 0800 number.
As the waiting list is long I will try again in the morning but wondered if any of you clever people had been down this road & what actually happens if you get through to someone on xtra.

stormdragon
07-06-2009, 07:29 PM
For non-xtra firmware have a look here (http://faq.dlink.com.au/supportfaq/DisplayTemplate.aspx?TemplateId=36755).

Driftwood
07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
So is that firmware any different to the standard DSL-G604T available on the D-Link website?
It appears to be the same version.

stormdragon
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Nope should be the same, I got the link here (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=49&TopicId=16102) from Geekzone.

Driftwood
07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
I've downloaded the firmware but before installing it, would prefer to hear from somone who can confirm if it's compatable. The modem is not big enough to use as a door stop.

stormdragon
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Fair enough. I've only ever done a 504 supplied by Telecom to proper DLink firmware.

bk T
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM

Is it brand new or used?

Have you tried with a 'known-to-be good' modem? If this works fine, it's the modem you bought is faulty, otherwise it's the line problem. Contact you ISP or Telecom to check the line.

Did you buy a new aerial or the guy sent you one? Learn your lessons: as far as possible, steer away from Trademe!

Driftwood
07-06-2009, 10:37 PM
It was a used item.

I have installed another "known to be good modem" in it's place & it is woking fine.

I managed to get hold of a relacement aerial.

I buy lots of things on trademe, both new & used.

bk T
07-06-2009, 11:02 PM
It was a used item.

I have installed another "known to be good modem" in it's place & it is woking fine.

I managed to get hold of a relacement aerial.

I buy lots of things on trademe, both new & used.

If you've installed another 'good' modem and it works fine, then I would say that the one you just bought off Trademe is faulty. Have you tried to reset it to factory defaults by pressing the reset pin-hole with a pin or something like that?

Driftwood
07-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Yes

bk T
07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Then, the next step you can try is upgrade the firmware (if there is any available). But it is quite risky especially Dlink modems. Make sure you download the correct firmware for your modem and follow the instructions closely. Do read the instructions a couple of times to make sure that you fully understand what it says before upgrading it.

If it still doesn't work after you've upgraded the firmware, it's time to get a new one but I don't suggest you to buy from Trademe again!

Driftwood
08-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Right

Nictech
08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
First problem was, no arial. Contacted the seller & the responce was, "I didn't say there was one with it".

I sure as hell hope you bad-feedbacked the **** out of him, what a sly b*****d.

Driftwood
08-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Havent done that yet.
They havent done mine either.
We've had a few emails back & forth.
It was given to someone to sell & I don't think they realised there was a major componant missing. The trader has a 100% feedback rating & so do I at the moment.
It was priced about right too.

Driftwood
09-06-2009, 03:25 PM
In case anyone is interested I have done the update & it worked perfectly.
The modem is also working perfectly so far.
As BK_T said you must follow the instructions as it a little different than others I have done. Also it can't be done on a Vista system, or so it says anyway.
However the modem is quite happy running on Vista.