PDA

View Full Version : Cutomer service - the authority to speak

Nomad
06-06-2009, 06:39 PM
We tried to book a sky movie on demand, we have a voucher for a free one. So we got a blue screen in front of the movie. So we rang them as it says on screen. Then we were told they have to speak to the account holder before they can do anything ... you you think this is acceptable? I mean people who live in the same address, partners, wives, husbands cannot do anything.

This isn't private matter, all it is, is a tv channel or others it may be a landline phone or whatever ...

And for someone who works in the evenings comes back 11pm 7 days a week and myself who has a day job ... what can we do.

Nomad
06-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I mean what is next? Earthquake, try to get power or phone back on. Sorry, can we talk to the account owner before we do anything? Or do you think my view is too extreme. Its not like we are dealing with funds, or changing contact info. TV not working, can you fix it ....

somebody
06-06-2009, 06:52 PM
They've probably had problems with other people (say kids for example) calling up and making unauthorised transactions, which the account holder has then refused to pay.

I know with TelstraClear, you can add additional "authorised" people to your account - they need a name and a date of birth. Maybe you can do the same with Sky?

Nomad
06-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah probably send the form back I dunno .. I may look on the net for one.

Blam
06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Happened to me exactly when I rang up telecom.

Even with the account no, password and all the details(dad told me) they wouldn't let me.

The next time, I rang up as my dad:p

My dad allows me, as he just doesn't know the "tech stuff" so he gets me to do it.

Blam

Nomad
06-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Sky had no forms on the net .. well from what I can tell. I guess I need to call them but I emailed them instead lol ... I was on the phone and this is the movie on demand telephone number which you would think you get some priority, I was on hold for like 25mins while the moving was going ... ;)

The last time with Sky I rang up as my dad .... cannot be stuffed. Put it this way my dad got a bit annoyed he had to phone in for me even for a 10 sec to say hi. For mine, English isn't his first language.

This time I thought I be nice and thought they be understanding by telling who I am, ie., I am not buying something or changing something, I am trying to fix an error.

pctek
06-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe your voice indicates youth?
Because I've sat next to customers talking to Telecom etc and giving them the customers details and saying who I am and I never get hassled.

Nomad
06-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I have never been denied who I pretended to be. I only did it once when I said I was my dad, that was year or two ago. This time I was honest and thought they were understanding and told them who I am really are and the account holder is not at home .... but they couldn't help us.......

kenj
06-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Sky has its problems and really annoys people at times. Trouble is, it seems they don't really care all that much.

SWMBO wondered why I get mad when trying to book a program for recording. Any more than 2 days and it can take up to 4 minutes for the EPG to get the info onscreen. She saw it in action today when I was booking "New Tricks" at 7.30 on UKTV next Tuesday night. Took 4 minutes to get to the stage where I could see it onscreen.

When you ring up and finally get a person to complain to, you get the "Would you like fries with that?" - "Have you done a reboot?" - "Are you interested in MYSky?" sort of reply.

Ken (Insert "Thumbs down" smilie here)

Nomad
06-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Would you like fries with that?

After telling me she couldn't do anything for us. She then said .. is there anything else we can help you with. Umm.. you didn't help me first so it is not "anything else" and what can you help us with if we don't have the authority to speak. :lol:

robbyp
06-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Sky has its problems and really annoys people at times. Trouble is, it seems they don't really care all that much.

Ken (Insert "Thumbs down" smilie here)

That's monopolies for you. Until they have competition, they can basically do what they want, and charge what they want. I remember Air NZs poor service and high prices, before Anset came in, and they quickly improved things. I don't have sky. Overpriced, I don't have the time to watch it, plus the stuff they show isn't that great. If I was to see a movie, I hire it and the movies are more recent too.

Nomad
07-06-2009, 12:52 AM
We don't use the in-demand movies, only this time cos we have a voucher. I was on the telephone and they said it cost $6.00 (or $6.99) I could get a new release DVD hire for $2.99 now with the recession (any of the 7 days a week).

We only have it cos the folks have international channels. We don't have the usual sky channels thou.

pctek
07-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes tech support is lacking everywhere in call centres. When our decoder failed I rang to report the need for a tech and had to go through all the Have you done xxx stuff.
Although when I lost patience and said its stuffed, send a tech she did shut up and get on with arranging one...

wainuitech
07-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes tech support is lacking everywhere in call centres. Thats a BIG understatement.

Had a lady call me on Friday - all upset, she said she had spent close to 30 minutes with Xtra trying to get their MAC book up and connected to the wireless , her husband spent close to another 45 minutes talking to ASUS help line -- Asus help line said they had better get me out to have a look as there was nothing they could do.

She rang me - explained the above -- First thing I said ( on the phone) was when the MAC scans does it pick up the wireless - "NO, but the HP Laptop does "- Look on the laptop on the edge someplace - theres a switch -- " Yeah its off" -- Switch it on-- EEEwwww it's found the wireless and connected.

"Thinks" DHURRRhhhhhhhh :nerd::groan:

kenj
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Thats a BIG understatement.

She rang me - explained the above -- First thing I said ( on the phone) was when the MAC scans does it pick up the wireless - "NO, but the HP Laptop does "- Look on the laptop on the edge someplace - theres a switch -- " Yeah its off" -- Switch it on-- EEEwwww it's found the wireless and connected.

Try this Wainuitech...

I sent an account to a customer once after doing a job on his gearbox.... (long time ago @ $4.00/hour)

1 ball bearing 2c
Finding fault and knowing where to place it $50

Ken :thumbs:

P.S. He was a regular customer who was always joking with us.

somebody
07-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Thats a BIG understatement.

Had a lady call me on Friday - all upset, she said she had spent close to 30 minutes with Xtra trying to get their MAC book up and connected to the wireless , her husband spent close to another 45 minutes talking to ASUS help line -- Asus help line said they had better get me out to have a look as there was nothing they could do.

Why was she calling the Asus help line about an Apple product?

wainuitech
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Why was she calling the Asus help line about an Apple product? Some how after speaking to Xtra :rolleyes: they managed to convince her it was the Asus Router not working or transmitting, then Asus "help" didn't seem to click on as well --

Didn't matter that the HP laptop was working fine on the wireless - that minor ( but obvious) fact went right past the help Persons limited knowledge :lol: