PDA

View Full Version : HP DX6100MT case swap

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I want to swap my DX6100MT into a larger more roomier case. two things im having trouble with, is the powerswitch plugs that go from the case to the mobo, i cant find a manual with a diagram for the mobo as it isnt labelled which is which. And the second, i can't actually get the mobo out, as it seems to be stuck, i've undone every screw and dont want to snap the board but for some reason it doesnt seem to want to come out, did i miss something? The end closest to the front of the case lifts up but it appears to be held down near the middle and around the CPU/ northbridge (i think its called) area.

Help would be much appeciated. :-)

Blam
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
So I'm guessing the headers don't have labels on them?

What model case?

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 04:13 PM
i couldnt tell you what the new case is, its an unbranded black server case, the old one is the default HP one, whatever that is.

I picked up the new case for 10 bucks which i thought was awesome

pctek
06-06-2009, 04:26 PM
plugs that go from the case to the mobo,

i cant find a manual with a diagram for the mobo as it isnt labelled which is which. i can't actually get the mobo out

Missed a screw. Didn't strip the thread on one did you?

You should have noted the connectors how they were before removing the current case plugs.
Or if its a solid one, take a look at how its lined up.

If the motherboard doesn't have a manual (doubtful - find the manfacturer of the actual board and look), then you might have to guess.

Finding power is easy, start it with a screwdriver or something first, touch the 2 pins and it starts or doesn't. SO then you know which is power.

Then find HDD LED, it will light or not when you have the right pins.
Ditto Power LED
Then whats left will be reset, same thing, boot, then rest, it either does or it doesn't.

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
nope, theres no screws anywhere now, i cant get the other side of the case off, just to see if they screwed something from the other side. im very careful, but am almost considering getting a chisel and hammer. Its like held down where there are no screw holes of any kind so im at a lost

wainuitech
06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Some of those Motherboards can be harder to get out - after carefully looking for any missed screws , have a look at the risers where the screws went into near the edge of the board, do they lift off - what you may find is sometimes the risers have ledges that the Motherboard mounting holes slip into, after a while the can stick, once free they simply pop out.

HP sometimes dont have conventional risers, Eg: flat that the board simply sits on flat.

Edited: Heres a picture (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Risers.jpg) of an HP riser I was talking about, notice the riser top right in the highlighted area - has a recess around the mount.

One other thing to be VERY careful about, look how the CPU is held in, if it Has Screws holding it, ANYTHING like this here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/CPU1244260468.jpg), the attachment points will more than likely be on the Case - looking at the previous picture, the bronze risers are what holds the CPU in place, right through the Motherboard, until those were removed ( unscrewed) the board wouldn't move.

DONT go using brute force - something will be holding it - force it to much and kiss away the board.

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Just looking at the edges where those ones are loose and come up so to speak, they appear to be flat, the problem i am having is the board is stuck where there arent any risers or screws....ie next to the cpu, and near the pci slots.

wainuitech
06-06-2009, 04:57 PM
read the edited section I posted above yours. Picture included.

If its sticking by the PCI slots look carefully, they hide screws in the most awkward places sometimes.

Edited: if the CPU is not held on by screws, remove the Heatsink and have a look around the Area - Once I found a couple of screws hidden close to the CPU, under the heatsink - sneaky buggers.

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 05:04 PM
CPU is not screwed in, it has those ones you turn with a flathead screwdriver. but i will have another look at the mobo in a few minutes, there must be something im missing.

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Okay, after looking VERY closely the CPU is screwed down by 4 long screws...dont know how i missed that, but anyway now ive run into an issue, where the new case doesnt have the holes in the right place for the cpu, so what i have do is use the gold motherboard things (the bits that screw into the case and a screw goes into them) i used a pair of pliers and held the gold bit in place, while i screwed the cpu heatsink down tightly, although its not screwed to the case, it is tight and does not move, would this be alright?

wainuitech
06-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Not exactly the correct way of doing it - but if it works, Why not.

What you have to be careful of is the risers that you used to screw the heat Sink to the board with ( lets call them CPU attachments) , are NOT longer than the risers on the New case, the threaded portion on the CPU attachments Must not extend down lower than the Mother Board risers, other wise the whole weight of the board will be on those 4.

when you screw down the board, if these CPU attachments are longer it will distort the Board. You need to check the depth on the CPU Attachments ( old screw risers) compared to the New risers, may even have to cut off the threads on the CPU attachments to shorten them (Remember they used to screw into the case)

Normally when a Third party CPU has screw through attachments, they are a flat plate that slips in the board/CPU holes.

Edited: went and dug one out -- plates look Like / Similar to this (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC01061_[Desktop_Resolution].JPG)

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
thsnks, all the attachments are the same length, so the weight is distrubuted evenly. i checked, i thought i did well as i got halfway through putting the motherboard in, and i realised there werent any screwholes in the right places!

All is good, just gotta figure out the switches and then we are sweet

wainuitech
06-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Just a word of WARNING-- Check the front USB wiring arrangements for the board Headers compared between the Old and New Case.

Last week I forgot HP, DONT ALWAYS WIRE TO WORLD STANDARDS. and after changing cases ( similar to you) promptly blew up the first USB drive I put in.

Most headers have 2 rows -- Red/White/green/Black one above the other.

The HP Case I had after looking was

White/Green/Green/Black ( top row)
Black/Red/Red/White ( bottom Row)

aidanmaz
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
The case i have has a lock on the front with a door, so im not really planning on using the front USB, Prolly gonna use it as a server so. i never plug the front usb in, as i can never figure it out.