PDA

View Full Version : Clone SATA drive + partitions?

PeterE
06-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I have a 80GB system (XP Home) hard drive and wish to clone it within a new 500GB drive with 100GB and 400GB partitions. I plan to transfer 'MY Docs' to the 400GB.

I already have two 500GB drives in a RAID so keeping the 80GB is not an option.

I tried useing the Seagate Disc Wizard but I was unable to clone to the 100GB partition as I wanted. All I could manage was to clone to the complete un-partitioned 500GB. Can I now partition the drive after the cloning process?

Where am I going wrong?

TIA, Peter.

Blam
06-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Were there any errors when you tried to clone to the 100gb partition?

Did you create 2 partitions first, a 100gb and a 400gb?

If you have no partitioning program, download Easeus partition Manager Free:
http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

Or, you can try to partition the existing 500gb partition using Gparted. As if the disk is in use EPM will not be able to partition it, so Gparted should work:
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=115843&filename=gparted-live-0.4.5-2.iso&a=95579909

Its an iso file-using an Image burning program(such as ImgBurn) burn the iso to a cd/dvd then boot from it and partition away!

Blam

PeterE
06-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Blam

I Initialised then created the two partitions with the XP Disc Management tool.

The Seagate wizard then created a clone of the old drive after which I swaped the drive connections with the intention of loading the 'clone' into the 100GB partition. The only way I could place the 'clone' onto the new drive was to remove the two partitions.

The install on the new drive works ok but I was hoping to be able to run My Docs from the 400GB partition.

Peter.

Blam
06-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I see-download Gparted, then partition off 400gb for your documents:)

PeterE
10-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the help which was suggested.

Here is an update:

My mistake (with the XP Disc Management tool) was to initialise my new hard drive then create a new 100GB Partition as "Primary" and then the create the remaining 400GB as another "Primary".

The Seagate Disc Wizard would not permit me to load the earlier created Image of my old 80GB hard drive into a single drive with two Primary Partitions.

After that I reformated the 500GB, Initialised the new Partition (100GB) as "Primary". I was now able to load the Image into the 100GB.

After this I initialised the remaining disc space as Primary new partition.

I now have XP in one partition and My Docs in the other.

I hope this info may be of help to others.

ATB, PeterE.