PDA

View Full Version : Multi AV Programs??

pipercub
06-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi All: Have just been reading something called "Toms` Guide". In it is an article re: Av programs. Hereunder an exerpt from the article:

"A post on Apple’s support pages dated November 21 recommends the users use not just one antivirus scanner to help protect against malware, but “multiple.” The full post is sketchy on why Apple is now urging users to use antivirus software. Actually the full post is pretty short. To summarize, “buy some antivirus, actually, here, get these.” For those who need word for word transcription:

Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities so that virus programmers have more than one application to circumvent, thus making the whole virus writing process more difficult. Here are some available antivirus utilities:"

I`ve always thought that the use of more than one AV program was not recommended. Is this right? I think the use of more than one firewall is not recommended but not sure about AV programs. Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers:

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Apple probably dont know what an AV program is. Let alone how many you should use

GameJunkie
06-06-2009, 09:15 AM
multiple anti-spyware yes, multiple AV no

wainuitech
06-06-2009, 09:41 AM
VERY unwise to use multi Antivirus programs, they clash with one another. Some antimalware these days come with an AV as well, these need to be disabled, but multi Antimalware is usually OK.

Blam
06-06-2009, 12:25 PM
VERY unwise to use multi Antivirus programs, they clash with one another. Some antimalware these days come with an AV as well, these need to be disabled, but multi Antimalware is usually OK.

Definetly.

Good to have more than 1 anti malware program, as one never gets them all, but there should always only be ONE REAL TIME scanner.

I've seen many people with incredibly slow PCs because they install many real time AVs thinking its "safer" but they clash and cause the computer to be reeeaally slow.

Blam

pipercub
08-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi Again:

The answers to my question say pretty much what I already thought. You`d think someone like Apple would know these things.

Thanks again:

Speedy Gonzales
08-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Apple probably dont know because there arent a lot of AV programs for them. And there's not a lot of viruses that I've read about that hit apples either

pctek
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Good to have more than 1 anti malware program, as one never gets them all, but there should always only be ONE REAL TIME scanner.

Bollocks. I have 2 antispywares resident.
Then again it can depend on which are resident, not to mention how slow or fast the PC is to begin with.

1 antivirus - many antispyware.

Who knows about Macs though, I'd say it should be the same ........

Blam
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Bollocks. I have 2 antispywares resident.
Then again it can depend on which are resident, not to mention how slow or fast the PC is to begin with.

1 antivirus - many antispyware.

Who knows about Macs though, I'd say it should be the same ........

AntiSpyware's can be a different story...but generally they sometimes conflict.