PDA

View Full Version : Anti-virus for Terminal Services Thin Clients

needhelpnz
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
If someone is running a bunch of thin clients through terminal services on SBS2003 or SBS2008, is it necessary to run anti-virus on each client? Each thin client will only run one dedicated piece of software, nothing else. I guess you can also restrict users from running anything else through a system policy?

SolMiester
05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Thin clients in my understanding only have a boot rom if that or boot from terminal services, so I would say no, a/v isnt required on thin clients.

nofam
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
We run around 50 HP thin clients here, and the XP embedded ones (some are CE.net) have flash ROM as Sol said; a reboot kills everything (really annoying if you've just config'd one and forgot to commit the changes :D).

I guess a virus could potentially infect one long enough to propagate other devices on the LAN, but I've never seen it happen.

And to be persistent it would probably have to be specifically coded for a thin client device.

needhelpnz
05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks SolMiester and Nofam for your reply.

> I guess a virus could potentially infect one long enough to
> propagate other devices on the LAN, but I've never seen
> it happen.

That's kind of my concern, a user can still stick a usb drive in the thin client
and inadvertently infect the network. But I guess so long as the server is protected, it should fine, right?

Any recommendation on thin client hardware brand/models?

chiefnz
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
we have HP think clients at work - about 400+ actually, we install McAfee Enterprise on all of them as a precautionary measure.

Cheers,

Blam
05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Panda Cloud?

Can't comment on detection rates though..