PDA

View Full Version : My nwe graphics card wont work!

DeanoL
04-06-2009, 01:02 AM
hello, hopefully someone will be able to help me with my problem, i recently bought a nwe graphics card for my desktop computer (ATI Radeon Pro 512MB Graphics Card AGP) but when i have connected it into my AGP port on my computer and plug my screen cable into it my screen says that there is no signal and then goes blank.

My computer currently has Shared graphics that come as standard with the computer (Packard Bell I-Media 1208) and the OS is Windows XP home edition. im not sure if i need to disable my old graphics card first and if i do how could i go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

DeanoL

Rob99
04-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Disable you current graphics in the BIOS.

Delete your graphics drivers before applying the drivers for your new card.

If there is two plugs on the card try the other one.

New is spelt n e w -ttp:cool:

DeanoL
04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
there are 2 different ports on the card but only one of them is the right size for the cable coming from my screen.

1. how do i get into my BIOS to disable my curerrent graphics card?

2. if i do this will my computer load up ok?

3. how do i install my new graphics card?

And yes sorry i noticed i had a typo on the title :S

Rob99
04-06-2009, 01:31 AM
BIOS is usually accessed by pressing the Del key during the bootup stage.
Some computers use F2 or a different key.

All BIOSs are different, so have a browse around to see if there is the option to use AGP or disable onboard.
There may not be so donít be worried if you cannot find it.

Your computer should still work fine, if you end up with no display, the key combination of [windows][U][U] should turn your computer off. Then go back into the BIOS and reverse changes.

Most times you would just plug in the new card; windows will detect it and ask for a disc to install the drivers from.

feersumendjinn
04-06-2009, 01:35 AM
When booting up press DEL key (usually, check your manual for this ) to enter your bios screen, look under Advanced or Peripherals or similar for a setting to toggle between AGP and PCI (or integrated) graphics, save the setting by pressing F10 (usually) and answering Yes.
Or maybe this is the cause:
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=topic_02372&ppn=PB34207201

DeanoL
04-06-2009, 02:28 AM
i have tried entering the BIOS settings on boot up of the computer but there is no option to disable the integrated graphics. nor is there any option to enable the AGP port. I have removed and replaced the graphics card and restarted the computer and it is still not picking it up. I have not got a installation CD with the card though as i got it from my brother and he cant find it. Is there somewhere that i can download a copy of the installation CD? i have checked the ATI website but there is no option to download one. or not that i seen anyway.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

DeanoL
04-06-2009, 02:56 AM
i have tried entering the BIOS settings on boot up of the computer but there is no op-tion to disable the integrated graphics. nor is there any option to enable the AGP port. I have removed and replaced the graphics card and restarted the computer and it is still not picking it up. I have not got a installation CD with the card though as i got it from my brother and he cant find it. Is there somewhere that i can download a copy of the installatuion CD? i have checked the ATI website but there is no option to download one. or not that i seen anyway.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

DeanoL
04-06-2009, 03:18 AM
oops sorry about that double post. i have tried to download the drivers from the ATI website but when i tried to install them it came up with an error message saying:

Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required harware or software.

Any Ideas? i have the graphics card in the computer and it seems to be working.

DeanoL
04-06-2009, 07:05 AM
has anyone got any ideas please? i have looked in my BIOS settings and i could not see any options to turn off intergrated graphics, but as far as i can tell my computer isn't even detecting that the card is plugged into the AGP slot. All help is appreciated.

Thanks Again :)

gary67
04-06-2009, 07:49 AM
sounds like the card could be dead did it definately work before your brother gave it to you?

pctek
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
drivers from the ATI website came up with an error message saying:

Setup was unable to find components

i have the graphics card in the computer and it seems to be working.

I have removed and replaced the graphics card and restarted the computer and it is still not picking it up.

So first, it needs to be working. With the card in you should be able to view the BIOS and initial boot screens, this is before WIndows loads.

If it doesn't, then there is no point in going any further until this part is sorted.

Once it is working, you then need to download the correct driver from ATI.

You choose the correct model of card and the correct operating system.
If you haven't got that right then it won't install.

With ATI you either download the entire 3 part thing in one, or if downloading separate you need both parts of the driver - it always shows up in Device Manager with 2 entries.

Does your motherboard support this card? What model of card is it and what model/brand is your motherboard?
Not all AGP cards were the same.

DeanoL
04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
The graphics card was definately working when i got it and i have taken anti-static precautions.

i can still access windows and i can access the BIOS menu's but when i do enter the BIOS menu i cant find anything that relates to the on-board graphics or my AGP port.

I have disabled my on-board graphics card thorugh the device manager and my computer is now running on a low resolution and very slowly.

The problem now seems to be that the computer is not detecting the card in the AGP port in any way.

SolMiester
04-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I reckon you have the old ATI 1950 pro.....a beast of a power hog, if you have not got enough power from the PSU (30amps+), forget it. Did you plug in the extra power connectors at the back of the card?