PDA

View Full Version : email hacked

convair
03-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Yesterday somebody sent 6 emails from my email account. The only thing that I can think of is that I forgot to log off my email account and somenody jumped on the computer that I was using. The computer was at the library which is a public PC.

Any ideas as how to sort this out? Change the email account to something else.

Blam
03-06-2009, 08:53 PM
change the password. Immediately

Never do stuff like that on public PCs. If you must use Tor, on portable FF on a flash drive/CD. Or a proxy at least

Blam

convair
03-06-2009, 09:04 PM

Never do stuff like that on public PCs. If you must use Tor, on portable FF on a flash drive/CD. Or a proxy at least

Blam

Now it seems thanks to the person sending the emails, I may loose the account for where I buy flight simulator addons online. How the heck am I going to sort that out with loosing the account??

Blam
03-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Contact them and explain what happened.

Speedy Gonzales
03-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Well it wasnt hacked then, if you forgot to log out of the computer

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Short of remembering to log off, there is little you can do. ToR and other such things like a proxy will only redirect your traffic, but you're still technically logged in locally, so just try to remember to be more careful next time.

In the mean time, change your passwords, and email an apology to the anybody who may have been affected by the event.

Safari
03-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Blam

You are getting a bit paranoid there Blam
Public computers are used everywhere to access email when away from home. Nothing wrong with it, just remember to logout.
Different matter if using credit cards or internet banking though, would not recommend that.

Renmoo
03-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Public computers are used everywhere to access email when away from home. Nothing wrong with it, just remember to logout.
Have you considered keyloggers? Even with the most advanced VPN tunnelling access, if the local computer itself is ridden with keyloggers, then the security features are pretty much... useless.

[Edit] Change the password on a clean computer, Jimm.

Cheers :)

Pancake
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
My guess is that your email address has been picked up and is/was/now being used by spammers.

SolMiester
04-06-2009, 12:58 PM
phishing.....is my guess. Are the messages in your sent folder?