PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited BB?

sarel
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi all

I've been looking at an unlimited data cap BB plan for our staff hostel at work - that way I can bypass the need to "control" usage. It would seem to me no ISP provides unlimited these days?

sarel

wratterus
03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
That's right.

Go Large damn near broke Xtra, it's just not feasable with the limited data capacity into NZ and the high cost of bandwidth. :(

Orcon, Telstra and Telecom all have decent high usasge plans. How much were you thinking? 40GB a month? 60GB?

The few hostels I've done jobs for seem to go through between 15GB and 25GB a month, normally it's not a huge amount. Just make sure the people using the connection know that its for general use and not downloading movies, and you shouldn't have any nasty surprises.

sarel
03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Wratterus, I agree but I've got no idea what they will be using. We have 50 rooms, and about 25 of the tenants have laptops. The size of your hostels? It would seem that a decent data cap that revert to dial-up could be the way to go?

sarel

wratterus
03-06-2009, 10:19 AM
OK. Yeah it is very difficult to get a gauge for how much data you will actually go through, every place is different.

A plan like that may well be the best option, as long as none of the people have essential stuff they need the internet for. With that many people using broadband simeltainously it will be a little sluggish but still fine, but dial up speed will be unusable if more than 2 or 3 people are using it at once.

Perhaps talk to a few ISPs, let them know what you want to do and with any luck you could maybe get a few months 'trial' obviously paying for data but at least youll be able to see how much you go through, and then make an informed decision on which plan to go with.

PS, I was around at the family's place I gave that wireless router to the other day, it's still going great for them and they are very greatful. :)

somebody
03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Echoing what wratterus is saying, you would be best off getting a plan with a reasonably substantial cap, which is then speed limited to dialup once you hit the cap. Gauging levels of usage is very difficult, as it can fluctuate a lot from month to month, as a result of completely innocent things - like watching videos on Youtube for example.

Maybe it would be worth simply seeing how much it costs in one month if you didn't control the data use - maybe it is completely reasonable, and thus there is no need for you to worry about it?

sarel
03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
What? You got that piece of cr*p to work OK? Sh*te you're goooood.

No essential stuff - currently we provide one PC on dial-up (KOL!!!) but the request for BB has been growing steadily the last few months. We also looked at creating a Hotspot but it would be too expensive. So, as a last resort I thought we will look at BB until my work can include the hostel into a VPN roll-out but that will take years.

sarel

Rob99
03-06-2009, 10:31 AM
It would seem xnet has gone to the clappers, but they would only charge you for what you used.
You could set a 20Gb cap, if you only used 10Gb thats all they would charge for, if you went over you could slow down or up the plan on their website and be back to full speed in less than 30 minutes.

There may be other ISPs that offer the same, but I do not know of any.

ronyville
03-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Telstra Clear have unlimited BB option for Business customers. Its around $200/month i am guessing with 2mbps down and dont remember the upload speed. Give them a ring. Hope this helps.

sarel
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
ronyville, yes, I saw this :

BizBroadband Flat Up to 2Mbps (Up to 256k up) $199.95 Flat rate

but I've got this funny feeling we're with Telecom because we are on Telecom Mobile - and yes, I'm trying to find out.

sarel

Rob99
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
ronyville, yes, I saw this :

BizBroadband Flat Up to 2Mbps (Up to 256k up) $199.95 Flat rate

but I've got this funny feeling we're with Telecom because we are on Telecom Mobile - and yes, I'm trying to find out.

sarel

Does this mean we are limited to finding you the best plan on Telecom?

wratterus
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Just looking at Telecom's plans, their 40GB fs up/down does not appear to allow you to slow it down to dial up speed when you go over the cap, which is not a lot of good cause they sting you big time for excess data usage ($20 a gb! :eek:) so it would need to be one of their business plans if you were to go with telecom.

They are acceptable. Would cost less than the Telstra Clear one.

https://www.telecombusinesshub.co.nz/Internet/Broadband/Pages/Pricing.aspx

wratterus
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
What? You got that piece of cr*p to work OK? Sh*te you're goooood.

A firmware update, many resets and a lot of cursing seems to have got it co-operating. ;)

I did find out that whenever you power it on, if any cables are plugged into it apart from the power cable it doesn't seem to start right, unplug everything, power it on, leave it 10 mins, then plug stuff in and it was ok.

ubergeek85
03-06-2009, 11:48 AM
If you're in the CBD, you might be able to get fibre/fiber. You have to pay through the nose, but some businesses have it. CPIT, for example, has a Gigabit connection (and techlabs, the hardcore tech dept, has another gigabit connection). I have no idea how much it costs, but they must chew through at least 10-15Gb a day. If I'm on, maybe 20!

But judging by your situation, the TC unlimited referred to earlier would suit your needs and then some. If it's capacaty is underused, you can always just leave your computer there overnight... boosting the utilization.

sarel
03-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Hey Geekster, I work for a Hospital, so there's no $$$$.

The only upside is that the Hostel brings in new $$$ to the Hospital, so we've got a little more leeway trying to do things.

Thanks for all your help, guys:thanks

sarel

gary67
03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
The other thing that can effect your usage is like the other month when there seemed to be over 40 auto updates from MS times that by the 25 or so lappies and there could be your months cap

R2x1
03-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, obviously you would have to ban any MS operating (?) systems from your connection ;)

Blam
03-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, obviously you would have to ban any MS operating (?) systems from your connection ;)

You bad boy....:D

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Perhaps something like this:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/10724_3730746_1 / http://worldspot.net/wk/Main/en/SetupDDWRT

Or this:
http://www.howtoforge.com/wifi_hotspot_setup

Paul.Cov
04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Well, slowing the connection to dial-up speed will render it completely useless for all but 2 or 3 very patient users. And if someone is doing torrents, then dialup speed will not protect your cap.
I've moved 40GB at dialup speed this month (after exceeding my cap, so 80GB of traffic in total, and still a week to go on the month).

Ideally, you need to portion out the amount of data available to each user, and shut them down once their fair share is gone, or have a pre-pay system whereby they pay for all data before they get it... ie they log into your system, it monitors their traffic and their credit.

There's got to be a way that hotels and other hostels use. The biggest question is the cost of implementing it.

However, if most of your users are only temporary guests, they might not get much chance to drain the data... and if it's hospital related, they may be more likely to be researching medical conditions than downloading videos.

Is it hospital staff or family of patients being housed here?

Paul.Cov
04-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Actually, another way to reduce abuse, is limit access to the web to a handfull of computers in a very public area - like the TV lounge.

sarel
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
PaulCov - mostly Hospital staff. I presume they won't do a lot of research in the Hostel, as they've got a better and faster (I think we've got a T1 or T3 line, whatever that is) system at work to do it with.

sarel