PDA

View Full Version : Disk Read Error

Espresso_Addict
29-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Recently upgraded my pc and decided to give my spares to a mate and upgrade his older machine a little.

When we swap his ata hard drive over and place it in my machine I get a disk read error yet it works sweet in his old machine.

I haven't changed anything in the bios other than the boot order and disabled the raid as he won't need it.

Any thoughts??
Cheers
Grant

SolMiester
29-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Have you set the BIOS to AUTO for the drive or are the settings manual?. Check ATA cable also, try the other IDE channel.

You will probably have to format the drive anyway, unless you went into device manager on the original system and change the disk, chipset and other drivers to generic.

Espresso_Addict
29-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for that, I think it may be quicker to re fomatt one of my spare drives and give it too him.

Appreciate the tips

Blam
29-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Can you perform a chkdsk?

wainuitech
29-05-2009, 08:35 PM
When we swap his ata hard drive over and place it in my machine I get a disk read error yet it works sweet in his old machine Thats becuse if the Drive has an OS on it, as SolMiester mentioned , its trying to load in drivers, etc that are not meant for the motherboard/hardware.

You cant simply put a working HDD with an OS into another PC with different hardware and expect it to work - it wont.

You need to either remove all the drivers, do a repair install , or a full format and reload windows.

Running chksdk will do nothing apart from waste time.