PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted Outlook.pst file

linw
27-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I've 'inherited' a job to fix an Outlook 2003 pst file. It is just over 2GB so guess this might be why it is stuffed. (It is well past a scanpst.exe solution).

The owner is prepared to pay for a program to fix it so can anyone recommend one?

I have a recent image of the C: drive but, unfortunately, the file won't extract as it errors about 75% through.

Just had a thought. Maybe I could restore this image to an old drive and try to retrieve the pst file? Mmmm...

But, in case I have to try to fix the current one, any recommendations re file fixers would be welcome.

SolMiester
27-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Have you tried creating a new pst and importing from the other?

You could check out this too...
http://www.diskdoctors.net/repair-corrupt-2gb-pst-file.html

wratterus
27-05-2009, 04:23 PM
First thing would be to make sure you're doing the recovery work on a PC with the NTFS filesystem, to get around the FAT32 2GB file size limit.

If it's Outlook 2003 or later the .pst file size limit is over 2GB, but if you have Outlook 2002 or earlier, the limit is 2GB. (Think so anyway).

Wainui recommended me this (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/outlook.html) program a while back, I have had 100% success with it in over 10 revocery jobs, highly recommend it.

I went halves with the person who's data I was recovering, but kept the program.

It would be worth trying a few other things before splashing out though, the way the kiwi dollar is that might be a bit dear. I've found Scanpst to work in this situation, as long as Outlook 2003 or later is installed. Theres nothing wrong with copying the pst file to another PC to do the recovery, just make sure the original is backed up before trying anything. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2009, 04:28 PM
If it's Outlook 2003 or later the .pst file size limit is over 2GB, but if you have Outlook 2002 or earlier, the limit is 2GB. (Think so anyway).

That sounds right, just read on one site 2003 is 20 GB. And previous versions 2 GB

wratterus
27-05-2009, 04:30 PM
That sounds right, just read on one site 2003 is 20 GB. And previous versions 2 GB

Cool, I ran into someone with a 9GB pst file with Outlook 2003, and despite taking all of 5 mins to open Outlook, it ran fine.

linw
27-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for answers, guys. I was misinformed - it is actually Office 2000.

As for the max file size, 2003 and above can go up to (and beyond?) 20GB but only if the pst file is a unicode one. If it is ANSI, the 2GB limit applies.

Thanks Wrat (and WT!) for that ref. $US50 is doable to this client so will get it if I have to.

Sol, info was good but $NZ254 buyin was a bit steep!!

Keep you posted.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Or use this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B33B1DFF-6F50-411D-BBDF-82019DDA602E&displaylang=en). It'll truncate it tho. Is SP1 installed? Or are any SP's installed?

linw
28-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, what a time consuming saga. Eventually, I got the latest drive image to install and got hold of the pst file. But handling an already too big file is really fraught as it is a time bomb just waiting to go off! And it did after a lot of work.

I did try a couple of rescue tools and they seemed to do a great job but I thought the 70 msges retrieved for the Inbox was not right but it turned out the owner had moved a few thousand to another folder in the same pst file which caused the crash. This misunderstanding cost me a lot of midnight oil.

I learned a lot more about how Outlook uses its files but one big lesson is that I would go straight to the rescue tools and not mess around in the future. $US50 is nothing compared to the time I put in.

And Outlook users with 2GB limits should check those file sizes regularly.

Thanks for the help, guys.