PDA

View Full Version : recording freeview

Metla
27-05-2009, 09:55 AM
looking at buying a cheap and nasty DVD recorder, probably a second hand unit from Trademe.

Is recording freeview as easy as passing the signal from my freeview box through the dvd recorder?

Scouse
27-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Re: Is recording freeview as easy as passing the signal from my freeview box through the dvd recorder
It must be really simple.... I managed it and my skills in this area are zilch. I laid the boxes and cables out in front of the tv and, playing jig-saws with the various red, white and yellow plugs, it just seemed to go together.

I can record all of the freeview channels but seem to have lost the ability to record the stand-alone Prime, which is not part of Preview but which I can get clearly on the tv.

pine-o-cleen
27-05-2009, 10:33 PM
So you already have a freeview decoder?

Get another freeview decoder with recording capability. There are heaps on trademe. You plug in an external HDD via usb and record on to that.

That way if you want to watch one channel and record another then you can. And it will be cheaper than getting a DVD recorder.

pine-o-cleen
27-05-2009, 10:34 PM
examples

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=freeview+recording&searchregion=100&type=Search

Metla
27-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Interesting.....

gary67
28-05-2009, 07:57 AM
We have one of these (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Other/auction-220807766.htm) and it does work also can watch movies in avi format of the comp using a flash drive. We kept the video player though so we can record Prime through the aerial

Strommer
28-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Mets, stay away from Philips DVD Recorders. They crap out after the warranty and have poor features.

Pine - I did not know about the "freeview decoder with recording capability" on Trademe.
Interesting... hopefully Metla will get one, test it and post a review so I know if it is a good deal. :D

Cicero
28-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Lets hope it is not to long b4 these questions are resolved.!

Metla
28-05-2009, 12:36 PM
From what I could find about those freeview recorders they are cheap and nasty but work well enough if you don't expect them to do everything they say they can.

I'm definitely going to buy one.

Cicero
28-05-2009, 12:42 PM
So long as you don't turn into a whinging pom.

So buy with care.

Strommer
28-05-2009, 03:07 PM
From what I could find about those freeview recorders they are cheap and nasty but work well enough if you don't expect them to do everything they say they can.

I'm definitely going to buy one.

Let us know what you get and how much $$$ you spent. I am looking for a new toy. :p

gary67
28-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I do have one see earlier post and it works OK occasionally the sound goes out of sync we turn it off then on again a few seconds later and it's fixed itself, records well enough to a flash drive and can watch movies in AVI format from flash drives

ubergeek85
29-05-2009, 05:21 PM
If you have the Zinwell 620HD freeview box, you can flash it with an overseas firmware (Hong Kong) and it'll record not one, but TWO channels at once (but they both have to be on the same mux). It does invalidate your warranty though, and at this stage it's a one-way street (you can't go back to the NZ firmware at this stage).

Check here (http://forum.dtvforum.co.nz/showthread.php?t=304), but the procedure means that you have to change the customer numbers in the HK firmware for the NZ box to accept.

Metla
31-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Gary, Does it have many options in regards to file size/quality?

I want to build up a library of music video's, a few hundred at least and I need the quality to be good enough that it sounds good.

gary67
31-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I haven't really tried will look and get back to you on that one, I normally use vids from the comp on it mostly. I also converted all my music cd's to MP3 a couple of years ago while off work having my shoulder rebuilt so my quality is controlled from what I converted at. The qwuality will be as good as whatever quality you do the conversion at

Scouse
31-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Re my earlier post: I can record all of the freeview channels but seem to have lost the ability to record the stand-alone Prime, which is not part of Preview but which I can get clearly on the tv.

If it is of interest to anyone else.... I solved the problem of recording Prime. Prime was traditionally on my channel 4. If the new Freeview device is switched on, I get the full range of channels offering, but 4 is the Freeview . If I record 4 while the Freeview device is on, I get the odd-ball Freeview 4. If I switch off the Freeview device completely and recvord 4 I get Prime.

I just have to explain this to my wife......... :)

Mind you, it was not worth recording last night's game.......

Strommer
01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I just have to explain this to my wife......... :)

Good luck. Over at my place, after 5 years SWMBO still does not remember where the Mute button is, let alone how to hit Redial on the phone or access it's Phone Book. :waughh:

gary67
02-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Metla I have tried recording freeview on my decoder the quality is about what you would expect from a VHS tape recorder, so perfectly watchable.

We can't get freeview HD in Nelson so can't test that. We get the freeview courtesy of our ex sky dish. I encoded a short piece of DVD to AVI and the quality was very good (used handbrake for the conversion).

I have all the TV stuff wired into my floor speakers via my amp and sound quality from the freeview is very good. I still have the old VHS attached to it all as at the moment it's the only way I can record Prime which is on the UHF aerial. I couldn't alter the quality of recorded stuff on the freeview box unfortunately.

Metla
18-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Got it, Installed it, done some recording.

Does what it claims to, does it very well.

For the price I'm stoked.