PDA

View Full Version : Old Blind Dog needs a new trick

01-07-2001, 04:53 PM
I have been given a old 386 laptop in bits that I have reassembled, but cannot get it to display anything on either LCD or attached CRT monitor.
When it boots, it just beeps a sequence of short sounds, invokes the HDD and won't display a thing. (yes I have tried the contrast and brilliance controls. I believe the BIOS battery is stuffed too.
I have tried a few key sequences that I thought could be common BIOS setup configuration settings but to no avail.
I believe this is an old PC Direct laptop and uses an Award BIOS chipset.
If you know of anyone that may have a manual for a PC Direct Laptop of this vintage I would appreciate hearing from them.
even for a series of default screen parameter key strokes in order so that I can set to configure this thing to at least fire up with a display.

I know you say stop wasting your own and my time but you and I may get a bit of satisfaction from getting it to go.

05-07-2001, 11:12 PM
The beeps are an error code telling you somthing is wrong. If you have / can find the manual for the bios it will tell you what is wrong. Or check all the connections etc.

06-07-2001, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the info.
Any suggestions as to how to find out about the BIOS is there any setting or hardware serial number I should look for to find out more about it.