PDA

View Full Version : Need a USB Wireless Adapter

learning
25-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Can anyone suggest a good wireless USB adapter.

I need to connect my my desktop PC which is downstairs to the Wireless router upstairs ( Linksys WRT54G)

Dont need those super duper fast Wireless-N types coz my router wont support it anyway i guess.

I just need something which is stable and has good range. Dont mind paying a bit extra for it.

Also is there any major advantage going adapter using PCI over USB types.

Speedy Gonzales
25-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Any wireless adapter will work, but this will depend on HOW FAR the other computer is. I suppose one advantage USB has over PCI is, you may get a USB extension cable, so its not stuck behind the case.

Otherwise you may need a decent aerial to get a good signal, if you get a PCI adapter

learning
25-05-2009, 10:26 PM
The router is upstairs and actually directly above my desktop about 3 meters but of course with a floor in between them

Stairs wise its about 15 meters apart

The onyl reason i am not keen on PCI one is coz it will take up space inside my case

jinja_thom
25-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I've had good results from a d-link DWA-110 apart from working well it also has a very usefull desk top stand but it's never shown in the marketing blurb.
HTH

Rod J
25-05-2009, 11:54 PM
I use a Realtek RTL8187 Wireless USB adapter made by Cyber which I bought from the Warehouse for around $40. No problems whatsoever. I use it here to connect to a wireless hotspot (the base aerial is about 100m from my PC) and I get a very good to excellent signal strength/link quality consistently.

Blam
26-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Cheap, and should work fine:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Wireless-networking/Cards/auction-220169546.htm

Speeds should be OK, seeing as your PC is directly about the router

robjg63
26-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Here you go: http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_3802.html
Any number of them - About $30 and up.
A USB adapter should work fine and doesnt require you to pull your PC apart to fit it.
I would suggest that you check that it either comes with a USB extension cable - or you just buy an extension cable so you can move it around a little. You may need to hang it off the back of your monitor or something to get the best signal. Though you sound to be quite close to your router.

For the record I purchased a Dynalink DYWRT54 a while ago. It came with an extension lead and seems to work fine. (Around $30)