PDA

View Full Version : PC died

01-07-2001, 01:59 PM
We bought a PC from The PC Company 3 months ago. We were using it last Sunday when it just died on us. We tried restarting it but nothing happened. We took it back to The PC Company for repairs - they said the PC has had a power surge which melted the power supply and motherboard. They have replaced those but the PC still won't work so they are trying to find out what else needs replacing. The problem is that because power surges are not covered by warranty they are charging us for all the work being done. My question is: Can such damage occur even when we use a surge protector (we bought one of those Zaptraps from Dick Smith). Could it be that this occurred because the power supply was faulty in the first place? (After all, on the first day we got this PC, it wouldn't start. The problem was defective RAM which The PC Company replaced). Please shed light on this problem. Many thanks.

01-07-2001, 05:09 PM
Hi Maria, well if you had a working power surge protector and it was purchased from dick smith's it should be reliable and block most damaging electrical surges although some cheaper ones don't really provide the kind of protection needed for a pc. It is possible that a faulty or blown pc power supply could fry some of the components including the motherboard, although I have had blown power supplies in the past and luckily nothing else was damaged so I really couldn't tell for sure, but I have heard a few stories of early failure of components from pc company computers and you never know how much testing they do on the computers but you are probably just very unlucky.

01-07-2001, 06:24 PM
if the light on the zaptrap is out you have had a 'hit' but unfortunatly zapcatches(except for the top model) are known to let 1000volt+ spikes through. you have a higher chance of being hit through the telephone lines.

make sure you get the old parts back. get a second opinon. ive seen a few writen off pc's that had very little wrong with them.

check your household insurance covers it or not.

01-07-2001, 10:48 PM
Hello Maria
Two things immediately spring to my mind.
Firstly as Tweak'e suggested there should be some sign on the zap catcher of a hit, usually easily picked up by the light being out.
Secondly if you had a surge big enough to melt the power supply and motherboard you would certainly know about it,
anyone who has looked at a system that has been fried will tell you, the smell of burnt out electrical components is unmistakeable and you would have certainly noticed it, when it happened.
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but my experience of the PC Company in the Waikato,BOP area finds a wide degree of help and expertise among their Tech's,
it would seem to be quite obvious to me, that if the motherboard did sustain the amount of damage they claim, it did, the chances of the CPU, Ram,Video card etc functioning would be minimal and a check of those components an obvious step before reassembly.

Alan

07-07-2001, 02:20 AM
If you are buying a power filter then buy a Panamax, they are by far and away the best.

If you have the bucks, a good UPS will protect far more than any surge protectors.