PDA

View Full Version : 'Boujour' Veses 'UPnP'

SurferJoe46
24-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I see that Bonjour has established itself in my XP-Pro SP3 puters - (so says CCleaner in the TOOLS/UNINSTALL tab, anyway.)

The only thing the I have been able to discover about it, is that it is an Apple derivative and since I don't have wireless, isn't it a lot easier to just use UPnP and dump Bonjour?

Running shared files/folders/printers and such - can this not just be handled by UPnP?

Why do I need redundant "discovery" devices, especially the Apple one when I have NO wireless and don't use iPod or iTunes or anything else "i-related"?

And another thing: does anyone have any idea from where it came into MY system?

I don't use Adobe-anything, so I cannot fathom from where it came.

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Well you dont need Bonjour, it just gets installed with Itunes. Its probably used, if you've got an Apple Airport express gadget. Which people probably wouldnt bother with.

Not too sure if it gets installed with anything else from Apple, unless Safari or Quicktime installs it as well. I cant install Itunes on this, because it doesnt install on XP Pro x64, but it installs on Vista 64 bit (altho there is a workaround). I just cant be bothered trying it

SurferJoe46
24-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Ahhh! Quicktime Player!

Comes-de-light!

I use QTP for my Kodak camera, (I think!) and I guess if I dumped it, it would just call home and ask for it all over again, huh?

I really resent being forced to accept something I don't want.

Can Picasa get around this and I just dump QTP too?

I really prefer to use WMP10 for most of my MP3s and my WMA files. Can I make WMP also associate and grab the QTP files too?

I have K-Lite codec installed, and I wonder if it has a way to handle "i-type" files too?

Speedy Gonzales
24-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Umm dont know about Picasa, BUT Irfanview may have a QT plugin. Which according to this (http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm) can read / play QT files. There is QT alternative, which is similar to QT, but its minus quite a few things (what exactly, I have no idea)

SurferJoe46
24-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I got the QT-Lite and am currently deleting and removing QTP - but it is putting up quite a fight to stay on.

There was a "TERMINATE-QUIT-WAIT" button - I chose "TERMINATE" via CCleaner's UNINSTALL program, and will now install QT-Lite.

Here's the link for QT-lite: http://www.free-codecs.com/QT_Lite_download.htm

Re-running CCleaner and will tell all what happens when/if it works out.

Thanks Speedy-one!

SurferJoe46
24-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, I ALSO just now noted that the K-Lite codec pack for WMP is supposed to be able to associate with the QT-any codecs, so I'll just try without it for a while and see.

If I need it anyway, it's loaded and ready to run the installation pack.