PDA

View Full Version : Graphs, Charts, etc etc

Metla
24-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Righto, In the course of some training I done last week I was informed that the sort of role I'm looking to get will require being able to gather information and present it in a graphic form.

Having never done anything of this nature I don't even know what program or programs I should be looking at learning, I assume some part of Office has the ability to construct charts?, if so then which part is it?

just looking for a little nudge in the right direction, after that I'll have a tinker, and if that comes to nothing I'll get a book from the library, and if that comes to nothing I'll go get some training.

user
24-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Excel. Enter the figures in columns and then use the graph wizard to create the graph. Google on some tutorials to create simple graphs. Easy once you have done it a few times.

Sweep
24-05-2009, 02:57 PM
MS Office (Excel) or Open Office

beeswax34
24-05-2009, 04:59 PM
The best way as suggested by others is through using Excel. Here are some tutorials and quick guides to get you started:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102004991033.aspx (For Charts)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA101983081033.aspx (For SmartArt)

Metla
24-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Nice.

Just checked and I do have excel as part of my Office suite.

Looks kind of empty though :rolleyes:

Jen
24-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Is is just statistical information you are presenting? Word can do flow charts which are good for showing the flow or steps in a process. You can also import charts created in Excel into Word if they are to be part of a written presentation.

Metla
24-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Is is just statistical information you are presenting?

I don't really know:clap

I'd need to get involved in the real world goings-on to see what exactly is done. I have found much of what gets mentioned in training never takes place in the real world. having said that I can see a need to do flow charts.They seem to love their charts, I was shown 5 different "causation charts" in a 3 minute period.

The chart video beeswax34 posted impressed me:banana:banana:banana

FoxyMX
24-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Are we allowed to know what kind of training you are doing? And the kind of role you are wanting to get? :)

Metla
24-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Health and Safety.

Need to get my qualifications in order before I start job hunting, Figure I'll only get one stab at the bigger companies and ideally I'd like to be working for the railways.

Next round of training is in Nelson....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

pctek
24-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like doing loads of stuff in Excel and then making Powerpoint presentations is the fashionable thing to do.

:yuck:

Metla
24-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like doing loads of stuff in Excel and then making PowerPoint presentations is the fashionable thing to do.

:yuck:

If someone wants to pay me 70 grand a year and a car to do so then its fine by me.

well, Ideally I'll be pushing for an on-site job but if I'm asked at an interview if I'm proficient at making charts I'd look like a right twat if I said no...

Sweep
25-05-2009, 09:37 PM
For Organisation charts and Flowcharts you could try Visio possibly.

You can also draw diagrams directly onto slides in Powerpoint.

Get creating!