PDA

View Full Version : PC Stress Testing Errors

learning
24-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I ran Passmarks Burn In test and its erroring out on Disk drive and Sound Test

For hard drive it says "no free memory or buffer" and for sound test it says "could not open midi sequencer or midi file"

I have a brand new seagate 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb and my sound plays fine otherwise from speakers.

Is it erroring out on hdd becoz i need more buffer for hdd? its not the fastest hdd out there but certainly not old. Unless theres somethin really wrong with hdd.

And i dont know why its erroring out on sound. It plays sound test file fine for like 1 cycle and then next cycle it errors and plays ok in next n so forth

pctek
24-05-2009, 02:09 PM
BurnInTest allocates larger memory buffers when it needs them for a test and then releases the memory when it no longer needs it. This error message is displayed when this type of memory allocation fails, ie. the system has run out of memory (physical or virtual)

This is more likely if:
(i) You have a small amount of physical + virtual memory
(ii) You have performance tuned for Windows (System Cache) rather then applications
(iii) You are using the memory test together with a large number of disks/CD tests at the same time.

As for the midi problem, do you have an actual midi file for it to play/test??

learning
24-05-2009, 10:29 PM
BurnInTest allocates larger memory buffers when it needs them for a test and then releases the memory when it no longer needs it. This error message is displayed when this type of memory allocation fails, ie. the system has run out of memory (physical or virtual)

This is more likely if:
(i) You have a small amount of physical + virtual memory
(ii) You have performance tuned for Windows (System Cache) rather then applications
(iii) You are using the memory test together with a large number of disks/CD tests at the same time.

As for the midi problem, do you have an actual midi file for it to play/test??

Yup thats what the Passmark description says when you look up in help. Although it doesnt explain in simpler term or offer any other explanations

I have 4Gb RAM and its a fresh install of XP. Hard drive is new. Does this mean that all HDD with 16MB cache will fail and do the same? I did no tweaks to Win XP so i m guessing by default it maybe that Windows system cache is turned on - Will go and check on this

The test is running just on CPU, Video Card, Memory, DVD Drive and single HDD. Will try and just do test on hdd and see if it stops erroring out

Oh for the midi file i did nto select any files just let the program use its default setting,

wainuitech
24-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I have used passmark from Windows 2000 Onwards and it works fine. Good for stressing systems - only had a few actually fail when testing the hardware, which its designed to do. Use the default settings to start with.

Your errors could mean a faulty install, if it still happens, remove the software, re download it and install again.

As the site says, System Requirements
64 MB RAM, DirectX 9.0c, 12MB disk space (more required to run the disk test).
I've run it on Xp with only 256MB Ram and 20GB HDD's, so buffer size shouldn't be a problem.