PDA

View Full Version : Converting ISO files

newyorkpaulie
24-05-2009, 12:19 AM
I would like to convert ISO files to a video format such as MPEG or AVI. Anyone know of free (or cheap) software that's available online? Thanks!
BTW, I am using WinXP Pro on a T23 Thinkpad.

bob_doe_nz
24-05-2009, 12:21 AM
I take it that you have a DVD movie in iso format that you want to convert to Mpeg or avi right?

Blam
24-05-2009, 12:30 AM
IF they are Video_TS folders I highly recommend Handbrake.

Fast and lots of options:)

Blam

newyorkpaulie
24-05-2009, 12:31 AM
I take it that you have a DVD movie in iso format that you want to convert to Mpeg or avi right?Yes. I actually want to edit movies using Movie Maker, but this software does not recognize ISO files, hence my wish to convert them. My goal is to snip off some beginning and ending footage... kind of clean them up.

newyorkpaulie
24-05-2009, 12:33 AM
IF they are Video_TS folders I highly recommend Handbrake.

Fast and lots of options:)

BlamWill handbrake work with ISOs or do I have to extract the TS info? (I do have ISOBuster if I need to extract.)

Blam
24-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes-you could also mount the iso then copy+paste or you could extract with WinRar:)

BTW Welcome to PF1:)

newyorkpaulie
24-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Yes-you could also mount the iso then copy+paste or you could extract with WinRar:)

BTW Welcome to PF1:)Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by "mount".

Bantu
24-05-2009, 08:58 AM
An ISO is an Image of a CD or DVD. In order to use it you either have to burn it to a CD/DVD as in burn Image. Or you can Mount the Image with software such as DAEMON Tools. This then mounts it as though you had just put the DVD in.

From there IF it is a movie DVD then inside it will have Video_TS folder and Audio_TS folder.
Inside that are VOB Video files.

Converting VOB files can be done with likes of Handbrake.

Blam
24-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know what you mean by "mount".

Exactly what bantu, just said, using a program it'll be as if you have another few more DVD drivers and you can virtuallly "mount" iso's onto them:)

kahawai chaser
24-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Other free video converters are quick media converter (http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/qmconverter.htm) and super (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html)