PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 RC

effie c
23-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi,
Thanks to those members who got me up and running ,when I came to install RC, and overlay W7 Beta----I am now well involved with using it it is faster than Beta and very attractive:thanks

Does anyone know how much W7 final is likely to cost?
It is so good that come next June when the trials are over,that, within limits, I want to buy it and go out of XP Pro altogether.

Question: I was told that all data would be lost in the change over--not so, as there is a now an "old" separate listing and a new one. The "old" is still usuable
Can I get rid of the "old" by deleting it as my 40 gb h/d that is being used is down to 16.8 GB free ie how can I regain that space?--it was, in Beta, "27 gb free".

If I do change over next year I would want to have the two h/d together to give me 120GB space

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Well you probably wont have to wait till June. Windows 7 maybe out about the 15th Oct this year. Once it comes out, just delete one partition then recreate it (if you want 2 partitions), then reinstall Windows 7

I wouldnt stick with 1 partition.

1. It'll take longer to format / reinstall.

2. If something screws your system up, the whole hdd will probably get infected. And you'll have to start all over again

3. Depends WHAT version of Win7 you get. There's like 6-7 versions (similar to Vista). Noone will know the price, until about mid-June, according to some sites

somebody
23-05-2009, 11:26 AM
There are rumours that the pricing may be slightly higher than the current prices for Windows Vista - although they are just rumours, so you can take it with a grain of salt.

effie c
23-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Speedy,

Thank you -the install of W7 RC is "windows 7 Ultimate" which would suggest well over $500--ouch :groan:

Can I just click "delete" of the "old" on the present hard drive that W 7 shows and will that regain my lost /doubled up space- I have transfered all that I need so do not need or want the Beta one

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I wouldnt have a clue how to delete the old version, I havent installed Win7. I would have reinstalled over the beta version

Saucy
23-05-2009, 11:47 AM
To free up the space used up by the backup of the old install .....

First check you have everything you want to keep saved in your new install. Documents, photos, files, favourites, RSS feeds, email archives, email signatures, and so forth.

Search for Cleanup (in the Start menu), right-click on Disk Cleanup to Run as Administrator.

There should be an option for "Files discarded by Windows upgrade" at 1GB or more in size and "Windows upgrade log files" which is also quite big. Select both, and click OK.

Blam
23-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Did you upgrade from beta using the ClientVersion hack or did you install on a seperate partition?

effie c
23-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi Saucy and Blam6,

I had a spare 40 Gb h/d that I installed to be able to learn such as this beta etc, without corrupting XP Pro on my normal 80 gb h/d----the catch is I have to physically change plugs in my tower to enter either one

I will do as you say Saucy - I am operating from W7 at the moment-what surprised me was that I had been warned at losing,instantly all of Beta -whereas in fact it virtually created a h/d partition, so to speak.

Blam6
I had installed beta from an install CD ,then when I was warned that I would not be able to change over and the "end was nigh" for beta I downloaded and burned a dvd-but thought I was in trouble as the two downloads I had had to get pushed my BB usuage over limit and until May 27 I was on dial up speeds only- and I thought I had not succeeded in the complete file-in fact I had just beaten it

Wainui Tech was gracious enough to send me a burned copy of the install---AND I had to learn fast and quick how to change the BIOS etc

Wainui t showed me how, and I will be forever indebted to him as I am now up and running ( I have even offered my services to him as an IT :lol:

The end result was complete success and hence the query re cost- but for this "Ultimate" version I doubt I will be able to afford it- especially for my 4 year old pooter

effie c

wainuitech
23-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Glad you got it going effie --- Did you get the reply email i sent (rather long one) last night ?? ;)

Regarding the pricing --- Going from past experiances - I would esterimate the pricing to be not that much different to Vista -- Think about it -- MS want every one to Buy W7 - if they price it to high, no one will.

Blam
23-05-2009, 02:17 PM
It'll come out at a high price then in a few months it'll halve probably.

effie c
23-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi wainui et al,
Yes I got that and read and digested it- please can I work for you-- I would be a short lived addition---age is agin me :banana
Speedy
this RC version is supposedly all that you will have after at the latest, early August- and RC has to be changed over from Beta not overlaid- hence me biting the bullet--but RC is better and quicker than beta- I just hope I can afford the "Ultimate" version which the development is using-- it is real neat

Saucy,
My C drive still has "old" and C drive showing- I have cleaned out 9 GB of rubbish but cannot delete "old" which has only a mb or so left--keeps saying one of it's programs is in use,so no go!

I still suspect what started out as a clean 40 GB h/d ,and which has used 15 GB of that leaving 25.6 GB free----surely I can regain some of that space too?----But from where?

effie c

Blam
23-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Download WindirStat and have a look at what may be taking up all that room:
http://windirstat.info/

effie c
23-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Blam6
Have done as you suggest- I can see which is taking space- but how do I clean any surplus out?
effie c

Blam
23-05-2009, 05:31 PM
What is taking space?

effie c
23-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Blam6

well for one---"old" C drive will not delete and when I go to get administrator's permission nothing appears to be available to change the permission to do so.

In particluar I want to take out Office which I copied from the then old C drive
Now to delete that ---where to from here? If I remember rightly office has a huge amount of space under it's installation

My Office I can re install from my CD but I would like to get rid of my supposedly "easy" install of it by copying it to W7 RC from the beta programto use it as though I did not need the CD

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Office wont work if you copy it from the beta to rc version. As the info for it wont go into the registry. You'll need the CD and then reinstall it

Blam
23-05-2009, 05:49 PM
You cannot copy and paste most programs across. They also have registry entries and other stuff.

If the old partition will not delete, can you go run>diskmgmt.msc, right click C drive>format?

effie c
23-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Blam6,

there is only 80 mb space used for the "old " c drive
Can you tell me how to get administrator to give permission to remove sic, Office
Effie c

Blam
23-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Download this, then run it
http://www.technize.com/?dl_id=99

When it asks, select OK/YES

Once that is done, right click the MS Office folder>take ownserhip.

Once the command prompt window closes proceed to deleting it again.

Blam

effie c
23-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Blam6,

Now that is a very good program- I have been "searching "for Office for two hours and though I have set "Take ownership" - I cannot delete anything untill it stops--and that it won't do even on command
all the Office items it has found - and it is now including the many types of font etc so how long that will take I don't know
Can I delete anything that "was modified, ( installed , I assume) before I downloaded W7 RC ?---without affecting W 7?

effie c

effie c
23-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Blam6,
I took ownership of several files and I still get admin., permission required even thoug I supposedly have taken ownership
any ideas?
effie c

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I wouldnt worry about it. Because if you do buy it, you'll have to format both partitions anyway

effie c
23-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Thank you Speedy
It appears a good program, but it sure ignores my taking ownership order

I am really trying to get any space back so as to include the original install of W 7 beta, which much to my astonishment took 14 GB off the 40 GB h/d and would leave me with a useful amount of freespace
I would have thought 3 or GB for the install
If I can buy the final w7 I assume I will just get a key by e mail as does ESET

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
23-05-2009, 09:37 PM
No if you buy windows 7, the key will come with the cd, (like every other version of windows), not by email. The only reason you got a key with the beta and rc versions, is because theyre not final versions, and they run out

gary67
23-05-2009, 10:43 PM
I didn't get a key for them just installed when it asked for the key I hit next and it continued to install been running the 32 bit for a week or so tried the 64 but couldn't get it to work my printer or print server even with the vista 64 bit drivers

Sweep
23-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I didn't get a key for them just installed when it asked for the key I hit next and it continued to install been running the 32 bit for a week or so tried the 64 but couldn't get it to work my printer or print server even with the vista 64 bit drivers

You will get away with this for 30 days then it is going to want a key I think.