Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wind Chimes - Tuning ?

Few years ago I built a set of wind chimes of 30mm Al tube - 6 tubes.
    They are of random lengths but now I wish to recut them to some form of tuned lengths.
    They sound great but I reckon would be better with some form of relationship between the tubes - eg a chord of some sort.
    Anybody out there know of the calculations to be used to cut to the various lengths from a starting length of my longest - 830mm.
    There must be a mathematical way somewhere.
    Cheers & Thanx
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.
    No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue.

Default Re: Wind Chimes - Tuning ?

Isn't music divided into eighths of tone (and smaller, of course)?

I would imagine that this could be a start point....

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

We've got a nice set of tuned windchimes, made of 5 aluminium tubes 19mm (3/4") diameter. I've checked the notes with my electronic tuner and they are (from deepest up)
    B flat, length 341mm
    D flat 313mm
    E flat 295mm
    F 277mm
    B flat 239mm

So I think it's playing notes in the scale of D flat - the harmonies are very pleasant.
    Note there are two B flats (an octave apart, double/half the frequency) and the length relationship should be 1:square root of 2 or 1:1.414. They don't quite meet that, and so are slightly out of tune with each other, but not enough to sound bad, so exact accuracy is not required.

You could scale these lengths up to make use of your longer tubes, and the 6th one should probably be an octave apart from one of the others.

Alternatively, try googling - there are websites on the subject.

Have fun!

As someone who's had to put up with his neighbours chimes going off all night, night after night, I'd politley suggest you go to your neighbour with a file, a sledgehammer, and your wind chimes, and ask him if he'd like to adjust their 'tone' with the file, or the sledgehammer.

While I respect your creativity in making them, and your desire to tune them, I hope you aren't creating a nuisance with them.

Think my neighbour only put up with them coz they were a gift from another family member and didn't want to cause offence by taking them down.

Have a mate who gave his neighbour a hint by discretely unhooking them and laying them on the balcony... repeatedly... until they got the message.

Mrs T has a noisy set on the deck outside our bedroom window and they are not in very good tune.

Mrs T (bless her ) is totally, utterly and absolutely tone deaf, so much so that detuned bagpipes played by a drunken Norwegian sailor would sound just fine to her ears. Her singing can also be likened to said drunken sailor as well, except the sailor could probably carry the tune better.

When the wind blows at night, I take them down, as much for my own sake as the neighbours, but strangely, on that side of the house we've gone through three sets of permanent residents and a couple of sets of flatmates over the years and not one person has complained.

Maybe they just lost the will to live..........

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Heh, I love the humor you've shown there about your Mrs T. Reminds me a lot of how my mum used to be.

But what's especially funny is the suggestion that bagpipes could sound good to anybody. Much like Windows, bagpipes are an instrument of torture, being concealed beneath a cloak of pseudo respectability, when in reality, like Windows, their purpose is to drive the masses crazy.

Seems to have worked on me anyway. I'd rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard.

Well trained fingernails on a proper old-style blackboard sound quite good. Grubby nails on a whiteboard just don't cut it.
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.

Best way to tune wind chimes is to put them in a bucket of water..

this is a pretty indepth way of doing it
    http://home.fuse.net/engineering/Chimes.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    But what's especially funny is the suggestion that bagpipes could sound good to anybody. Much like Windows, bagpipes are an instrument of torture, being concealed beneath a cloak of pseudo respectability, when in reality, like Windows, their purpose is to drive the masses crazy.

*Cough*

I actually love the sound of bagpipes, in fact there is nothing quite as moving and stirring to the soul as the skirl of a good pipe band. I remember back to my childhood and the huge ANZAC Day parades we had when WW1 veterans were still marching in considerable numbers and all were under their Regimental Colours and Standards. There were pipe bands and brass bands galore, then later as a 10 year old I was marching and playing for them myself as a member of a Brass Band.

I guess you had to be there then, so close to two world wars to appreciate how the public felt about and honoured their veterans, and Brass & Pipe bands were an integral part of that recognition. It is heartening to see the rise in respect and support for ANZAC day, but I'd love to see the massed pipes and the kilts again.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!