Unhappy Runtime error - MCU.exe

Today's irritation! I've been out taking pics with my Canon camera. I use Zoombrowser Ex 6.2.1 to download with a card reader. Usually everything is AOK, but today it gives me this error:

'Runtime error. Program C\Program Files\Canon\Zoombrowser Ex MCU\MCU.EXE'

And won't download. I have downloaded another way - but I'm used to doing it this way, so would like to repair. I installed the latest version of Zoombrowser this last week, so reinstalled it again, but with no success in fixing it.

OS - Windows XP Pro - all patched and up-to-date. The usual virus etc protection.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Default Re: Runtime error - MCU.exe

Any program should work if you want to add photos to it

If you use a card reader.

Install Picasa, Irfanview or The Gimp. All of these are free

To transfer your photos all you need is Windows Explorer. Cut or Copy and Paste.

The use whatever editing program you fancy to amend them.
    wipe your paws.

I think the solution is a programming solution - perhaps Visual Basic. I'm not au fait with that though!

I know I can 'sort' it by other computing solutions - I was interested in 'fixing' Zoombrowser if I could...

R.M., found a solution yet? Got the same problem here. Know I can use other methods but I like possibility of zoombrowser to rename the files automaticly (shooting date + sequencenr.) during download. Do you know another tool that can do that?

Removed zoombrowser and reinstalled 6.0 from CD. Nothing. Downloaded latest update and installed 6.2.1c, nothing...

I think Picasa does it IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingflyer2 View Post
    R.M., found a solution yet? Got the same problem here. Know I can use other methods but I like possibility of zoombrowser to rename the files automaticly (shooting date + sequencenr.) during download. Do you know another tool that can do that?

Removed zoombrowser and reinstalled 6.0 from CD. Nothing. Downloaded latest update and installed 6.2.1c, nothing...
    No, I didn't manage to fix it - reinstalled my Acronis image of C Drive (that has got me out of a number of pickles in the last year - well worth the money - although changes to NZ dollar probably has made it more expensive now).

There are a number of programs that do what you want - Photoshop, ?Elements, ? Bridge, perhaps Picasso. There are 'no cost' programmes that image your c drive - worth looking at I think.

I uploaded some photos yesterday morning. This morning I installed Windows 7 onto a spare partition I have for messing around with other OS'es. This evening I tried uploading some photo's and got this exact same message from zoombrowser. I know where I would point the finger of suspicion.

I keep 'my documents' in separate folders on a completely isolated raid partition to simplify sharing between XP and Vista (plus linux). When I setup Windows7, I created a homegroup and allowed it to share pictures/music/videos.

Booting back into Vista, at least the pictures and music directories reported requiring permissions to be changed to access them while 'My Documents' did not. Since I had not shared this it seems to be related.

Now if I could work out how to undo this...

And to fix it, I went to Pictures->properties->security, noticed that it had set the permissions for my primary user account to read/execute and reapplied the full control.

Phew!!
    Last edited by sluggy; 16-03-2009 at 08:45 AM.