Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How do I find out my wireless network password?

Hi all!
    Set up a wireless network last year (may be longer actually) and have had very, very few problems. Not sure what I did back then (because of the very few problems) but guess I did something right back then, a?
    However.....
    I've just bought one of these 'netbooks' (Eee PC 900). It has a WiFi connection that detects my wireless network, great! Er, then it asks for the password.

Now I know you'll all be saying why didn't I make a note of the password and believe me, I usually do. But for some reason I have not! And there by lies the question.

Is there a way to find out what the password is as one of the main reasons I bought the netbook was so that I could surf the net away from the 'computer room'?

Many regards,
    Adrain

BTW - If the only way is to uninstall all wifi components, physically remove the wifi card, then install all again, then so be it. Just hoping might be a software option!
    If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, how comes I just get thrown across the room when I plug my finger in the power socket?

Red face Re: How do I find out my wireless network password?

FYI.
    Oh and just thinking about it, guess it COULD be that thought that what I am after is to (what do they call it??) 'piggy back' (??) some one elses connection. Not sure how I can convince any one it is my own connection and that I'm just stoopid in 'loosing' my password, but it is my connection! Also, I'm not too worried about editing my own registry if needed, but go slow on the 'directions' if that's the case please!
    Adrain
    If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, how comes I just get thrown across the room when I plug my finger in the power socket?

Default Re: How do I find out my wireless network password?

Remember the key, as you will need this to connect back to the wireless connection.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Exclamation Re: How do I find out my wireless network password?

Ok! Er?
    With my limited experience (of which I have heaps, er, of limited experience! ) from what you are saying, I guess I may well have got this all wrong then! I have a wireless PCI card in my computer but I don't think it's a router. If I understand what you say (which I may not) my router is actually an eithernet (cabled) one.
    Perhaps I've not set up a wifi net work, or (I think more likely) my computer can send/receive wifi but I don't use it for the interweb! Hmm!

When I start my Eee and click on find networks, it comes up with several. One of which I know is mine as I can't believe there is another person out there who would 'name' the network as I did hence (I do remember thinking at the time) knowing instantly it was mine!

When you say "Log into your wireless router, change the wifi key." would that be through the 'Control Panel'?

Regards,
    Adrain

Ah, what my little knowledge does, a? (Or dosen't!!)

What he means by router is the box that has the antenna, i.e. what all the computers connect to.

You would usually log into your router by typing an IP address (such as 192.168.1.1) into your web browser and entering a username and password.

Try this. It may not recover your password if the network is encrypted with WPA, but it certainly works for WEP.

BTW this thread is third on Google if you search for "look up wireless network password".
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Exclamation Re: How do I find out my wireless network password?

pcuserwinvista
    Well, I have no box with antenna. The antenna is from an internal PCI card. My internet router is eithernet cabled. Me thinks that this is the problem, maybe!?
    But then how come my Eee Pc is showing a network that is named what I thought was a totally original name?

Also, went to the link given and did what was asked. It says on the site:
    "If the Windows Zero Configuration service is active, the words STATE: RUNNING will appear."
    Mine is saying:
    "STATE: 1 STOPPED (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)"
    Plus a couple of other lines (if needed).

From a simple question comes issues of my total incompetence, a?

Regards,
    Adrain

So the router has no wireless connectivity?

Well, I guess this is where my lack of knowledge shines forth.

From my understanding, the router 'routes' data around (basic I know, but that's my thinking). Usually used for internet connections(?). Enableing two or more computers to use one internet connection, or maybe two or more computers to use one peripheral(?).

Now questions have been asked I'm not sure what I have!

I have a wifi card installed in a PCI slot internally inside my computer with the antenna sitting on top of the computer. I'm starting to think in that case I can only send/receive to a router but NOT to another computer (my Eee PC) using that. So also, what my Eee PC is 'seeing' is only my internal PCI wifi card that is 'looking' for an internet connection but is unable to 'talk' to another computer(?)! Hmmm!

As for the (interwebs) router wireless connectivity, I'm thinking that it has none. It has a fibre optic input with a choice of eithernet/USB output. I used an eithernet cable as it suggested it was better. It has no antenna at all.

Regards,
    Adrain

Ah. That makes it a bit clearer. IIRC Jamuz has what you need in his signature (how to set up an ad-hoc network).

From whats been written it sounds like the Router is not wireless, but connects Via a Ethernet lead, then the Wireless comes from a PCI Card thats installed in the PC. So technically, if the PC is turned off then you will have no wireless connection either.

When you installed the PCI Card, there should have been some software install with it. In this software will be the configuration settings.

All you need to do is click start/All Programs, look through the list of installed programs, locate the software for the PCI Wireless open the program, and some place will be the security settings. Some will show what the password is, others may have a row of Dots. If its the dots then you will have to reenter a new password.

The other thing you can try is look on the Icon try by the clock, normally it will put in a link to the wireless configuration settings.

Edited: I see some of the above was listed while writing - I'm leaving it as it may be helpful somehow.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 23-11-2008 at 09:42 AM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum