Default How to get microphone input to play out my speakers?

On all of my previous computers, when I plug a microphone into the mic jack, the sound from the mic comes out of my speakers automatically. But now on my new laptop this is not the case. I have a Toshiba Satellite A300 running Vista Home Premium, the sound card is Realtek (although I can't find anywhere that says the model etc, device manager just says the driver is Microsoft...?)

I'm running an electric guitar into the laptop, and I get good levels and can record in Cool Edit fine, but I'd like to hear the sound come out the speakers as I play. I've looked all through the settings, reinstalled drivers and nothing has helped. It's as if there should be a "Microphone Input" slider in the Windows Mixer to control it but there is nothing of the sort.

Also, there has occasionally been a "Stereo Mix" device (to record whatever is going out of my speakers) listed in the Recording Devices window, but it's not always there, I'd like to get that back as well There is just two "Microphone - High Definition Audio Device" listed, one is the internal mic and the other for the jack at the front of the laptop.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Default Re: How to get microphone input to play out my speakers?

The microphone input is usually muted automatically when speakers are active because otherwise you'd get FEEEEEDBAAAAAACK!!!
    Try testing it with headphones first to get it set up, right-click the (white) speaker icon in the Notification Area (right-hand end of the taskbar), open Playback Devices in that menu, L-click Speakers to select it (in the Sound window), L-click the Properties button then the Levels tab (in the Speaker Properties window) to get to the device mixer.
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------

Heck is a place for people who don't believe in gosh.

Thanks, but the only thing in the Levels tab is a volume for the speakers and a mute button...

Why is that even after installing REALTEK drivers, the soundcard properties within device manager say the drivers are Microsoft???

Minister of Guitar. rob_on_guitar's Avatar

Vista is quite picky about mic inputs, unfortunately I dont use vista but if you open up arealtek check to see if all the mutes are unticked (should be a fair few of them).
    Also check your playback level in the realtek options.

Quote Originally Posted by kettles View Post
    Thanks, but the only thing in the Levels tab is a volume for the speakers and a mute button...
    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my directions, this is what it looks like on my machine
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Graphically.jpg
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------

Heck is a place for people who don't believe in gosh.

Minister of Guitar. rob_on_guitar's Avatar

Sorted?

Quote Originally Posted by feersumendjinn View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my directions, this is what it looks like on my machine
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Graphically.jpg
    Man thanks for the pic tutorial! but all I have is "Realtek HD Audio Output" and "PC Beep"

there MUST be a way to get the other options...Realtek HD Audio Manager in Control Panel is no help either...

Hi Kettles

I have a Toshi A/100 and the same problem occurs but here are two hacks you can use to get around your problem.

If you have Nero installed, you might have access to Nero Wave Edit. If so, when recording there is a setting in this program which allows Digital Monitoring. Tick this box and sound comes out of the speakers.

If this program isn't available just hack a USB set of headphones. For full details, check THIS out.

Hope this helps you.

BURNZEE