Thread: Activate XP

Default Activate XP

Have an old tower that had legit XP on it but it was deleted and would like to reinstall XP.
    The owner is the original but the hardware has been modified:ie; new drives and maybe
    a new MOBO and all sorts of upgrades.My question is,if we reinstall the legit XP is it much of a problem to get it activated.We have the product key.
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Default Re: Activate XP

Shouldnt have a prob if its legit, and the key you've got belongs to the cd.

And the only thing thats changed is the hardware

If it doesnt activate online ring MS

Second what Speedy mentioned - easy enough if the product key Is legit and you have the COA Sticker - if it doesn't activate you call MS on 0800 676 334,

Select option 2 ( activate Windows) punch in the 42 digit numbers on the phone - it will come back as invalid (if you tried on line and it failed) press 1 ( From Memory) to speak to a MS rep.

They confirm the first 6 numbers, you tell them you had to reinstall the OS from the Product key on the side of the PC because the Mother board blew - they ask is the key on any other PC- you say NO- they give you a new set of 42 numbers 3 at a time and bingo - all done.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Just done this for a friend this weekend had no problems. Should be ok.
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

If it's a brand name machine (Dell etc), you probably wont be able to use the original OEM cd as it's tied to the original motherboard (and didnt need to be activated).
    If it's otherwise (full, upgrade or system builder (you) OEMs), you should be ok as (I think) the hardware audit/activation tie-in is cleared every 120 days.
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------

Heck is a place for people who don't believe in gosh.

Thanks guys,
    The exercise was hugely successful as everything is all go and to top it off
    the loverly Indian lady I talked to is coming to see me (once I send her the money for the fare) LOL
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

you tell them you had to reinstall the OS from the Product key on the side of the PC because the Mother board blew - they ask is the key on any other PC- you say NO- they give you a new set of 42 numbers 3 at a time and bingo - all done.
    I never say that. I tell them their product ate itself beyond a Repair Install and had to be reinstalled from scratch.

Which in fact is the case in 90% of my reactivation hassles.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    I never say that. I tell them their product ate itself beyond a Repair Install and had to be reinstalled from scratch.

Which in fact is the case in 90% of my reactivation hassles.
    Had that lots of times as well - the only problem is once I had some smart arse at MS say they couldn't reactivate it because the owner should have the recovery CD's etc.
    So to get around that - and this has happened, you can also say the HD failed, and the recovery partition was destroyed along with the original OS.
    Many Name brand PC's dont come with recovery CD's or even the option to make one.

Not MS's fault, But I do feel its a bit to ignorant on the Big name manufactures to expect that a HD with a recovery partition will never fail - mind you thats the toaster shops for ya! not "real" computer shops who usually supply the OS on CD/DVD.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

I have found that activation only lasts for 4 months. After that it doesn't matter if there is different hardware. This enables you to buy a second hand xp CD and use it, providing you have the serial.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Had that lots of times as well - the only problem is once I had some smart arse at MS say they couldn't reactivate it because the owner should have the recovery CD's etc.
    I've never had one argue. They aren't meant to. They really don't care usually.

And yes, vanished partitions are common, totally stupid idea putting it on the HDD itself.
    wipe your paws.