Default Best Placement of Modem/Router

Advice required. I am currently using a Dynalink RTA 1335 modem /Router, and in a vain effort to improve my lousy download speeds on a so called World Exchange fast as your line allows broadband have decided to uprate my dedicated split line from the point of entry to the house. From POE to my office is approx 25 meters . I have replaced this phone line with a Cat 6 patch cable. Is it better to place the modem adjacent to POE and then use the Cat 6 to take the broadband signal to the Computer at the end of the line, or, simply use the Cat6 as a high grade twisted pair phone line and place the modem adjacent to the computer , say approx 1meter. I would appreciate all advice. Thanks

Default Re: Best Placement of Modem/Router

Welcome to PF1 - personally I'd use the shortest distance Telephone cable between the router and POE and then use the Cat6 from the router to PC, Mind you cat6 wont be any faster than cat5 if the hardware cant take it, the distance cat5 starts to get "picky" is approx 100M. Long lines from the POE to router have been known to cause problems.

I have cat5 going from my router out to the workshop which is about 40mtrs away as the crow flies, going round corners/walls etc easily to 50 + mtrs and the PC's out there are no slower than this PC which is about 1 Mtr from the router .
    Last edited by wainuitech; 04-09-2008 at 06:02 PM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Having the router near the computer is probably the best bet. Then you can reset it, watch the lights etc as necessary. If it's near the POE it could be inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by rumpty View Post
    Having the router near the computer is probably the best bet. Then you can reset it, watch the lights etc as necessary. If it's near the POE it could be inconvenient.
    reset the router remotely.....
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8