Golden Oldie

Default System Mechanic Pro

Anyone tried this Utilities Suite?
    I am looking for a good alternative to Norton System Works
    I would appreciate an opinion from an experienced user if there is one among the Forum Members.

Default Re: System Mechanic Pro

You don't need any kind of suite.

* One-Button Checkup—Lets you enjoy your computer at its best, making sure it’s clean, repaired, and running at top speed with the click of a button

* Norton Utilities—Diagnoses and fixes computer problems

Ok, rule one: DON'T Fix it if it isn't broken

* Norton Cleanup—Quickly and permanently removes unwanted Internet clutter, temporary files, and other private information about Internet activity

So does CCleaner

* Process Viewer—Allows you to easily see which software processes are running on your system, and which ones are affecting its overall performance
    Theres loads of those around, even HJT will show you processes.

* System Optimizer—Puts you in charge of Windows® by allowing you to control access to your Windows settings
    * CheckIt Diagnostics—Performs a physical examination of your PC’s hardware to determine its stability and capability

Again, Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    You don't need any kind of suite.

* One-Button Checkup—Lets you enjoy your computer at its best, making sure it’s clean, repaired, and running at top speed with the click of a button

* Norton Utilities—Diagnoses and fixes computer problems

Ok, rule one: DON'T Fix it if it isn't broken

* Norton Cleanup—Quickly and permanently removes unwanted Internet clutter, temporary files, and other private information about Internet activity

So does CCleaner

* Process Viewer—Allows you to easily see which software processes are running on your system, and which ones are affecting its overall performance
    Theres loads of those around, even HJT will show you processes.

* System Optimizer—Puts you in charge of Windows® by allowing you to control access to your Windows settings
    * CheckIt Diagnostics—Performs a physical examination of your PC’s hardware to determine its stability and capability

Again, Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
    Agree 100%.

It's basically pointless software.
    It's more than likely gonna be bloated.
    And it's more likely to cause problems than it is to prevent or fix them.

Don't go there.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

System mechanic used to be good, version 4 was the best, it came with a top quality registry cleaner, a disk defragmenter almost as good as Diskeeper 9, and could do secure file deletes. But after that, something happened to it, now its horribly bloated, and comes with a 'Memory Optimizer' which is a hoax, because freeing up memory is actually not a good thing.
    Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
    nVidia 8800GTX
    3GB of 667mhz ram (I know its slow)
    A Dell XPS 720 Case
    750 Watt PSU
    nForce 680i Motherboard
    Windows Vista Ultimate x86

My horrible internet speed:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/248693025.png

Hi

For a great Utilities Suite you just can't beat the best. Advanced Windows Care Beta 3!!

From the iobit stable, this is an excellent program. Full of different utilities, including a Registry Cleaner, Spyware Removal, Privacy Sweep, Junk File Cleaner - the list goes on. But wait, there's more - System Adviser, (similar to HiJackthis), System Optimizer, Security Defense, Security Analyzer, Disk Defragmenter - still there's more!! How 'bout a Disk Check, (uses Windows utility), Disk Explorer, Disk Cleaner, Computer Driver Updater, (Yah gotta love that one!!), Firefox Optimizer, Shortcut Fixer, Smart Ram and a Start Up Manager. There's even more but think you get the idea now. Nice interface with one button cleaner or automatically if you prefer.

As the name suggests it is Beta but version 2.8.0. I can assure you this program is stable, quick, easy and does the biz.

How much would you expect to pay for a topline program like this. $100? $150? If you act quickly, you can download this incredible program for the low, low price of free!! This fantastic offer can't last so be in quick!!

Seriously when this program does come out of the Beta stage you can bet your boots they will be charging for it. Anyway, give it a go, what yah got to lose?

BURNZEE

Golden Oldie

Thanks for the advice-
    I have just been given another computer,redundant to my son in laws business needs - not a bad machine - well spec'ed up, only thing I have had to do is drop in a better graphics card (ASUS EN8600GT) and provide the Software other than the operating system (XP Pro).
    On my current machine I have Norton System works, and while I have not had any serious trouble, the message I have received loud and clear from the forum is that Norton anti-virus is crap, so why would I want to buy an updated Norton System Works Pro, bundled with Norton Anti virus -
    What I was looking for was an alternate to System Works, if I install an anti virus such as AVG etc.

Cruising Member

I would use Avast rather than AVG, and as for suite plenty of users here suggest a 'suite' as in comoddo firewall, avast anti virus, ccleaner etc.