Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to stop others leeching bandwidth on torrents

Hi all,

I recently downloaded a copy of Ubuntu 8.04 (via a torrent) and it finished successfully.

BUT I got a shock when I looked at my usage - 4GB used in 2 days!! 3GB of that had been uploaded after I had finished my Ubuntu download.

How can I stop or at least limit this leeching of my bandwidth when using torrents??

Using uTorrent

TIA
    Last edited by jwil1; 11-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."

Default Re: How to stop others leeching bandwidth on torrents

Clear da torrent when it's completed mun! And also, don't let utorrent run itself on da startup, or you will use all of ya bandwit very quick ae!

Oh mun, one more ting, if you right click on da utorrent icon in the system tray, you can set an upload limit.
    Last edited by wratterus; 11-06-2008 at 04:35 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

But thats the idea of a torrent... to share the bandwidth across users.
    No cloud is perfect...

uTorrent's very flexible in regards to bandwidth limiting and seeding according to conditions. Open up its Preferences and look in the Queueing [sic] section. Adjust according to how much you want to seed (or not seed if the case).

Attached file: utorrent_seeding_prefs.png (14 KB)
    Consider it...umm █████

Flag Torrent's and go Rapidshare. No uploads while you download! You can't beat that!
    Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion.

You can get considerably faster downloads via torrents than Rapidshare could ever provide to us Kiwi's. Plus, Torrents don't cost a monthly subscription.

When I'm getting near the tail end of my month, and exhausted most of my 80gig a month bandwidth cap I limit my torrents upload speed to a maximum of 10kbps and don't notice any slowdown in download speeds.

To do that, I right click the torrent within uTorrent, and properties. Once in the window that pops up, there is a box labeled maximum upload rate. Just type 5 or 10 in there to keep your upload low. Keep in mind 0 = unlimited

What a wonderful thread!
    I will be watching with interest to see how it goes.

No wonder the ISP's charge like wounded bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBintin View Post
    You can get considerably faster downloads via torrents than Rapidshare could ever provide to us Kiwi's. Plus, Torrents don't cost a monthly subscription.

When I'm getting near the tail end of my month, and exhausted most of my 80gig a month bandwidth cap I limit my torrents upload speed to a maximum of 10kbps and don't notice any slowdown in download speeds.

To do that, I right click the torrent within uTorrent, and properties. Once in the window that pops up, there is a box labeled maximum upload rate. Just type 5 or 10 in there to keep your upload low. Keep in mind 0 = unlimited
    I get 700kbps when downloading off rapidshare,sendspace and megaupload but during peak times i get around 100kbps off rapidshare

Rapidshare is certainly faster than BT

Utorrent.I downloaded and it did reach like once 700k however that was the only time.

Rapidshare doesnt allow you to host files that are larger than 100mb you have to split it up so that means that if ubundo was like 2gb the person will be required to split the 2GB into 20 parts of 100mb which gets very frustrating
    Corsair Carbide Series® 500R,Intel i5 2500k,P8Z77V-Pro, 12GB DDR-1333MHZ ram, Asus DVD writer, Radeon Sapphire r9 270X 3GB , Windows 8 -64 Bit

Yeah, besides the "as fast as your connection allows" speed of RapidShare, I've never understood why people like it enough to pay for it. It's such a clunky website without native search (I know there's a few 3rd-party RS search engines) and the file size limit is so stupid, they should have scrapped that long ago.

Private servers are nice to have, TorrentFlux on a fast server is great.
    Consider it...umm █████

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Yeah, besides the "as fast as your connection allows" speed of RapidShare, I've never understood why people like it enough to pay for it. It's such a clunky website without native search (I know there's a few 3rd-party RS search engines) and the file size limit is so stupid, they should have scrapped that long ago.

Private servers are nice to have, TorrentFlux on a fast server is great.
    Rapidshare is stupid .I hate their website too.Most of the time I use megauplod and sendspace
    Corsair Carbide Series® 500R,Intel i5 2500k,P8Z77V-Pro, 12GB DDR-1333MHZ ram, Asus DVD writer, Radeon Sapphire r9 270X 3GB , Windows 8 -64 Bit