Default Scheduled Task in Windows XP

Hi, All. I'm trying to enter (and get it to run) a scheduled task in XP. The task is to run Avast (AV). I am the sole user account and I have administrator rights and don't use a password and am never prompted to enter one.

In order to 'Add Task', I had to generate a password in my account, and then it added and the task ran at the pre-set time. Then I found that I had to enter my password every time at bootup, so I changed my account to no password.

Now the 'Scheduled Task' won't run saying, 'The scheduled task did not run beacuse an incorrect password or user name was used.'

How do I get around this, but maintain the functionality I want. Cheers

Default Re: Scheduled Task in Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by A Team View Post
    How do I get around this, but maintain the functionality I want. Cheers
    Look here

But as it says, it'll open a security hole.

Thanks, Speedy G.

I found an easier way. Just check the 'Run only if logged on' box in scheduler and it does not require a password to add the task.

Cheers

Hi A Team et al,

Sorry- but I have tried that "run only---- etc-" no joy
    I have tried every previously used passwords- no joy
    I have gone into websites and any answer is ambiguous,if that-no joy
    I downloaded and ran a "speed up" program which was recommended by the various sites as being able to fix the problem-found a multiplicity of so called reg errors et al, when I wonder if in fact it is a "reg error" and the cost of getting sic Auslogics" speed up" at $39.95 will do it
    Speedy's comment about the hole does not work- no joy
    I tried suspending ESET (NOD 32 )-no joy
    At the moment I am awaiting remote assistance from a technician, and seeing all the constant complaints, in this forum etc, I wonder if he too will succeed
    as my beloved wife says ( she will not learn computing ) "bloody computers" and she might be right, for a change
    It sure has me baffled

effie c
    Last edited by effie c; 17-05-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Talking Re: Scheduled Task in Windows XP

Hi,

I am not sure, BUT , I wonder if I have found part of the problem---

I showed in my scheduler window a program called regcure, for one, which I must have set up, for scheduled use-but when checking add/remove it was not in there

I wonder if a lot of this time I used that as a failed example when in fact it was not installed

I tried the other programs, and I did not get that password window - perhaps they are now working

effie c

Hi effie c. I overcame my problem as outlined in previous posts, by ticking the 'Logged On' box which I think fixed my problem. I also had to add '-R' in the run box to get the program (Synctoy, a backup program) to run.

By the way , I have always thought effie c was a woman!

Hi Richard,

No! well not the last time I looked

My initials taken syllable by syllable will give you the idea of how I arrived at that ---way back about 7 -9 years ago, and since then I have often been treated as a woman

Glad some of us are getting to grips with this password thing- I am not completely sure I have corrected the problem - will have to wait until a planned time and day, start, occur- but enter 0x80070005 in Google and all hell breaks loose.

So, in there has to be a repair technique performed very carefully, in case one stuffs up the whole pooter ( and there are warnings in there that that can happenL

I do know that several of the so called repair aids, are Regcure, and Auslogics "speed up"etc which, downloaded and run, show several hundred corrupt files that supposedly are causing this-- but until ya pays ya money - forget it !!
    They stay in the pooter ---and supposedly if I had paid the money, my problem would not exist- and that I doubt

effie c

I had the same problem a few years ago. Someone on this forum put me onto System Scheduler which always works and doesn't require a password. It is simplicity itself, and it's Free! - http://www.splinterware.com/