Default Vista service pack 1 install problem

I have been unable to install the vista service pack 1 since it was released. I get an error of 800706B5. The service pack starts installing, gets all the way through then says that the installation has failed and then reverts back to vista prior to the install. I have logged this error through microsoft tech help three times and my problem has been archived as not resolved. Any ideas?

Default Re: Vista service pack 1 install problem

I suppose you have googled the "800706B5" and read all 74 issues/comments found?

Dont expect ms to give great support, the net has better resources than ms itself...
    Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them, most of them are in parliament.

Try some of the replies here

Are all of the drivers that are installed compatible with SP1??

Might be another reason why it wont install

Came across one possible reason, but first a quick test to see - click on the start orb, in search type in event - when event viewer shows double click it, see if it will open, if it doesn't there is one possible reason for the non installs.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Ok did you get it through windows update? or did you get that standalone. If it is the latter, see if there are any optional updates, download all of them apart from the language packs, and then try again see if SP1 is on windows update. No one has an error when going through windows update as far as I know.
    Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz
    nVidia 8800GTX
    3GB of 667mhz ram (I know its slow)
    A Dell XPS 720 Case
    750 Watt PSU
    nForce 680i Motherboard
    Windows Vista Ultimate x86

My horrible internet speed:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/248693025.png

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Came across one possible reason, but first a quick test to see - click on the start orb, in search type in event - when event viewer shows double click it, see if it will open, if it doesn't there is one possible reason for the non installs.
    Thanks. I do believe this may have been the problem. I discovered on a forum I had already read previously, that someone mentioned a problem relating to another piece of software. On the second page someone had listed a fix relating to access control lists in a batch file which I copied and ran. Low and behold, the event view started and sp1 installed without a hitch.

Hi stutank,
    first, greeting from berlin, germany !

I had the same problem and could fix it a very simple way. The problem was a corrupt RTBacKUP-Dir in C:\windows\system32\logfiles\wmi.

Check if the windows service EVENTLOG runs (I used the task manager and the knob "service". I "hope" it won't run. This increases the chance that this solution could help you).

I renamed RTBackup into e.g. xRTBackup using UNLOCKER (see google). Probably you can't rename it immediatly, so use the offered solution by UNLOCKER to rename the Dir after rebooting.
    After rebooting a new RTBackup-Dir will be created.
    Check if the service EVENTLOG runs (in my case it did).

Then I tried to install the SP1 again using the windows update program and it worked. It was not necessary to download the SP1 again. The updater used the previously downloaded files .

Wish you success

Smile Re: Vista service pack 1 install problem

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately it did not work for me, but I still appreciate this advice, which was clear & easy to follow. Hopefully it will work for some users who have had problems installing Vista Service Pack 1. This is a tough problem and there's very little out there that even attempts to offer a solution.