Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So, how long does beer last in an unopened can?

While cleaning out my garage yesterday, I came across a dozen cans of assorted beers that had been lost to the world (and my fridge) for over 10 years. That's taking the age from the date stamp, which is mid 1997.

One can of DB had some nasty brown stains on top that looked like a leak so I popped the top and no, it was still sealed and fully pressurised. I tipped it down the drain and it looked as fizzy as normal so I had a sniff halfway through and it smelt quite normal as well.

I suspect that it was still actually drinkable, but I wasn't game to try. Anybody here ever been desperate enough to dring aged beer? Bottles go flat, but it looks like tins are another story altogether.

I'd put them on TM as "vintage beer" but I don't think you can auction liquor.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Default Re: So, how long does beer last in an unopened can?

The only place for DB is down the drain. Be it a week old or ten years old
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

I drank a year old can of Speights a couple of Christmases ago, it tasted alright but had brown sediment in the bottom of the can.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

I've tried beer that was about a year beyond expiry, and it was ok. I don't think I'd risk any longer though.
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.

Any beer in a can or bottle should be avoided like the plague, only drink it from barrels sending direct to the pump.

Many moons ago at the opening of the fishing season at Lake Alexandrina a boat capsized and a flagon of beer was lost to the depths. A year later it was retrieved with the help of some diving gear and a compulsory round was ordered and had to be drunk. It tasted bloody awful and could best be described as vinegar that had gone off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    The only place for DB is down the drain. Be it a week old or ten years old
    Heresy.
    I am a loyal DB man although I would drink a redskin(Lion Red) beer after a day loading hay bales on a very hot day or if very drunk.
    Went home to Nelson at Xmas, never saw a redskin drinking them signifies you are Jaffa

Nelson used to be the home of Harley's somewhat dubious brew. After that muck they should remain quiet about beer for a few years yet. "Take the top of a flagon, and if it sucks the cork in, that's genuine Harleys".
    It was reputed to be good for tadpoles. Whether the tadpoles were involved before or after it was sold I never inquired.
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by XRNZN View Post
    Heresy. I am a loyal DB man ...
    I grew up as a DB man and was loyal until they changed something in it about 15 years ago and I started getting bad migraines.

Now I'm a loyal Speights man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    Nelson used to be the home of Harley's somewhat dubious brew. After that muck they should remain quiet about beer for a few years yet. "Take the top of a flagon, and if it sucks the cork in, that's genuine Harleys".
    It was reputed to be good for tadpoles. Whether the tadpoles were involved before or after it was sold I never inquired.
    I have a couple of mt Harleys beer bottles I collect the old stye beer bottles especialy prewar ABC ones. My Dad said in the early 50s it wasnt unknown for a hop to block the Harleys beer spigot in the pub.
    I havent heard a nice comment on Harleys beer which I suppose was the reason it died out.
    Last edited by XRNZN; 10-03-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling