Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: VHS to DVD

Default VHS to DVD

What is the process for transferring our collection of VHS tapes onto DVDs or into video files?

Please advise hardware/software I would need, as well as cost. I will be either using XP Pro or Vista - haven't bought the PC yet!! Would prefer to do it at home, not get a firm to do it for us.

Thanks
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."

Default Re: VHS to DVD

Get a capture card or tuner with video in.

And, hopefully there's a program for it.

1 RCA lead (with 2/3 RCA connections on each end) - (one for video the other for audio (and an RCA to 3.5 mm stereo adapter to plug into line in on the soundcard).

Or something similar to this

Connect video out from VCR to video in on the tuner / capture card, and audio out (from VCR) to line in on the soundcard. It may only record in mono (if the VCR isnt hifi / stereo).

Run the program (if the tuner / whatever came with one). Change it to CVBS (or whatever the video in on it is called). Change the audio option to line in (so it records the sound).

Play the video on VCR / record with the program. Voila.

Hopefully depending on the program (it may let you record in MPEG format).

If it does, let it record, then once its finished, stop the VCR / stop recording with the program. Use something like Nero or whatever you've got to burn the Mpeg to DVD.

Done
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 08-03-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Also, some people have problems with frame skipping.this could be due to windows services interrupting etc.

I think virtualdub can do this for free(its a little tricky to use for newbies though)

If you accept the incoming video at the highest bitrate possible, and then dont change it from one type of video to another to another,this will help quality.

I think the doom9 forum,and videohelp forums have LOADS of info on this.

True, just try disabling programs that scan in the background (any anti-spyware programs and maybe programs like Avast).

Altho, I havent come across this prob yet.

I did try recording from a VCR once (till the bloody VCR died on me) lol.

But the recording was good as.

I may still do it, when I get another video. I may record the 1968 version of planet of the apes, and its sequels (5 tapes).

And burn them to DVD.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 08-03-2008 at 07:17 PM.

pcsourcepoint

I have used Sonic's MyDVD to record video's to the pc. Then convert the format to DVD, then burn with Nero, or the f BurnAware Free Edition
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    I did try recording from a VCR once (till the bloody VCR died on me) lol.

But the recording was good as.
    What resolution does one get from recording from VHS? And how much does a decent video capture card/device cost? Would an internal or external one be preferable?

EDIT: Is Nero Vision SE any good?
    Last edited by jwil1; 08-03-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added edit at end
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."

Banned

I just googled VHS to DVD
    http://www.signvideo.com/conv-v-to-d.htm

Make sure you use the h.264 bluray codec which is higher than mpeg2 (its mpeg 4)

I tried doing it once. I had a VCR hooked up to my computer via a Leadtek TV tuner card. I gave up after doing one tape, as you have to do it in real time, and I ran out of patience.
    I have a Leadtek Winfast 2000 XP RM Tv tuner card for sale if you want it. PM me.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Quote Originally Posted by vitalstatistix View Post
    I just googled VHS to DVD
    http://www.signvideo.com/conv-v-to-d.htm

Make sure you use the h.264 bluray codec which is higher than mpeg2 (its mpeg 4)
    I dont think your going to notice the difference with VHS source material with huge amounts of noise and distortions. If it was HD,then codec is important.

What resolution does one get from recording from VHS? And how much does a decent video capture card/device cost? Would an internal or external one be preferable?

Cheap ones probably give you a lesser quality,and less options about capturing.
    Pros use special things which help reduce distortions.

You are converting from analogue to digital.

Simply use res: as high as possible eg 704x576(approx,depends on aspect) for dvd or half that for VCD(mpeg1).No point in sampling it too low !

Nero will simply convert it to dvd-video which is ~8mbps mpeg2.If you choose long play or similar to squeeze in more hours on the one 4.5gB DVD,this will reduce.

Make sure nero is set to 2pass!
    Last edited by michael_elliston; 08-03-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwil1 View Post

Once its recorded in MPEG 2, (if the program you use supports it) it'll be 720x576, which is what the tuner's program I use (Leadtek deluxe tuner) records MPEG2 in.

It'll also be 720x576, once you burn it to DVD I think.

I would pick internal. It'll be more stable and may not stutter (or jerk), like an external video capture card / tuner might do.

I brought this tuner for about $99 a few yrs ago.

NV SE maybe limited in what it can do.

Or may not have a lot of options to choose from.

If it has a DVD option in it, (and its got Mpeg in the files you can load), it should be good enough for what you want to do though.

I dont think it matters how cheap the capture card is, it depends IF the program you're using has the options in it. NOT the card.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 08-03-2008 at 07:53 PM.