Page 1 of 12 12345678 ... LastLast

Default New tyres, front or back?

Hi people, I need an opinion on whether to put new tyres on the back or the front of my car.

In Dec when I took my car for it's WOF, I was told that I'd probably need two new tyres on the back by June.
    As I am going to be taking a fairly long trip on Friday, I thought I'd go see the Beaurepaires guy and ask for two new tyres on the front and rotate the ones from the front and put them on the back.
    He said that nowadays they put new tyres on the back wheels, not the front. I always thought you put the best ones on the front, especially on a front wheel drive like my Honda Accord. So, whats the story?

Banned

Default Re: New tyres, front or back?

Always put your good tyres on the front. Swop from back to front if required. Reason is blow out in front tyre can easily lead you to being killed by death.
    Blow out on back is pretty easily controlled if you dont panic and hit the brakes too hard.

Mmmmmm.......... I might just ring my friendly neighbourhood mechanic. Thanks for your comment XRNZN.

A few winters ago, I took a bus down to Wanaka for ski-ing. There was so much snow on the Lindis that we had to spend a night at Omarama. Next morning, chained up, we headed over the Lindis. We came around a corner to find a car across the road. The driver was an AA man. He had put his chains on the rear wheels of a front-wheel drive car.
    If you wish in this world to advance,
    Your merits you're bound to enhance.
    You must stir it and stump it,
    And blow your own trumpet,
    Or trust me, you haven't a chance.

Ruddigore, G&S.

On my Honda Civic, I have got to replace my back tyres which were originally on the front. What I well be doing is putting the new tyes on the front and the front ones on the back which still have a bit of life in them yet. I don't go swapping tyes around to evenly wear them out as it is far cheaper to buy 2 at a time than 4.
    BTW my garage put the front ones on the rear without even asking me.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

I had the exact thing. Tread getting down on the front tires and was told I'd need 2 new tires before my next warrant.
    Swapped front to back and still pass the next warrant.

Front wheel on front wheel drives do all the work, rear wheels are just following the front wheels so unless you do a lot of hard braking the rear wheels wear very slowly.
    You can see London, You can see France but I can see your underpants! - TSA

Aha, I just found this on the AA website on "Ask Jack".

Motoring > Motoring tips & advice > Ask Jack >
    Best tyres should be put on rear or front?

I have recently attended a presentation given by the Tyre Industry where we were told that the best tyres (tread depth) should be put on the rear of the car, irrespective of it being front wheel drive or not. This is contrary to the thinking in the 1980's where the best tyres were though to on the front. Can you give me your thoughts on this and if the advice is correct then pass this message onto other readers for their information.

Kevin

Jack says..

Hi Kevin

The tech team wrote an article for the Directions magazine last year on this subject which supported the best tyres to rear theory and we still stand by that recommendation.

I must say we hit a real nerve with some motorists, as a reasonable amount of time was spent after that article was published replying to those who held the opposite view on the subject.

The best to rear recommendation comes from the fear of a vehicle loosing control by 'breaking away' in the back end. Imagine a blow-out or an under inflated tyre (due to a slow leak) on the rear and a vehicle cornering at high speed. The risk of the car spinning out of control is very high. Once the car has started to loose control the direction the steering is turned or amount of engine power applied can very quickly worsen the situation with disastrous results.

Having the best tread depth to rear reduces the risk of a puncture and in wet conditions the water can be dispersed more efficiently.

A blow-out or having an under inflated front tyre would be no fun either however, the driver stands a better chance of controlling the vehicle. Also an under inflated front tyre can cause the car to drift one way or the other and the steering characteristics can change, giving the driver some warning of a problem. The same cannot be said for the rear.

Much research has gone into this by the tyre companies on both front and rear wheel drive vehicles.

One of the problems the tyre manufactures face, is getting their front line staff to all sing from the same sheet. There are those in the tyre shops who still recommend best to front.

I'll now wait for the emails telling me I'm talking a lot of you know what!!

VoidMaster

Take this to the extreme, would you put bald tyres on the front and good ones on the back, I don't think so. Zero common sense these days especially amongst experts.

Loosing the back wheels is easy to control, in fact desirable, but front wheels slipping out and back wheels holding is the worst thing that can happen and very undesirable.

In a front wheel drive car the back wheels slipping out can always be controlled by planting boot and steering out of trouble if the front tyres are good.

He is talking a load of hooey.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 03-03-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XRNZN View Post
    Always put your good tyres on the front. Swop from back to front if required. Reason is blow out in front tyre can easily lead you to being killed by death.
    Blow out on back is pretty easily controlled if you dont panic and hit the brakes too hard.
    The only people at risk of blow outs are the idiots that go around wheel spinning until the tyres are showing fabric through the rubber.

The advice of tyre manufacturers is to put the new pair on the back because that is less likely to result in understeer.

The new tyres on the back will also have an easier time while the rubber is new so the overall life will be longer.

Hi

Just to add to the confusion, the new tyres should always be mounted on the REAR of the vehicle.

REASON: Loss of traction in the front is easily controlled by simply slowing down. Lose traction in the rear and you are in trouble.

Putting new tyres on the front will alter the handling characteristics and will compromise the safety and integrity of the vehicle.

Remember tyres do more than just support a corner, they are the only thing between you and the road.

BURNZEE

A BAD DAYS FISHIN' SURE BEATS THE HELL OUT OF A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!